Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday 1.12.2009

After a pretty good night's sleep, I woke this morning just before the alarm came on and enjoyed the shower. I did the arm/shoulder exercises to help with the fluid accumulation in my left arm. My forearm and now my hand and fingers are looking somewhat "full" to me. And my upper arm is itchy, and my shoulder aches, as does the breast.

Dan drove us today to his appointments. The first was Dr. Al-Sheikh, the family practice guy, who is managing the blood sugars along with his other meds. Even with the insulin that Dan started last week, his sugars are still in the 200's and low 300's sometimes. The lowest was 133. Doctor changed the medication protocol again, including changing the insulin to 20 units in the morning and 10 units at night. He felt that the hematomas in the groins were "normal" and will resolve. Dr. Al-Sheikh wants Dan to call him every day with his blood sugars, and gave us both the office number and his personal cell phone number. Ok, thanks. We go back next week Thursday.

Next stop, cardiologist.

We waited in Dr. Shah's office, too. I thought we were seeing Dr. Karve, but evidently not. (Later, Dan said that Karve was booked full, so he took an appointment with Dr. Shah. Oh.) Anyway, Kathie called us back, got Dan's weight, took his blood pressure, reviewed medications, and did an EKG, all before the doctor came in. When she was done, we waited only a few minutes before he knocked and entered.

He was definitely more personable this visit, I thought. He took the time to listen to Daniel, then looked at his skin about the rashy stuff. He was concerned that Dan is still somewhat itchy and suggested that another visit with the allergist might need to happen. Then he checked the hematomas in the groins and thought they were "normal", too. He did caution Dan not to push, pull, or lift any greater than 10 or 15 pounds though for a few more days, and if he noticed an increase in the size of the lumps below the surface (the actual hematomas) to apply pressure and seek treatment either in the office or the emergency room if after hours. Dan made a follow up appointment for 3 weeks, and we left.

We had left the house about 10:25 this morning, and it was now after 2. We were both getting hungry, but Dan had not been doing well in either of the waiting rooms today. When we got home, I helped him get food around for himself, and then for myself when his was ready.

Dan settled into his chair, covered with a blanket, ready for a "rest". I headed to Jackson for a haircut and a stop at the credit union.

I got the banking done then went out to Michigan Center to Auto Images to have them reset the engine light, but there was not a technician available to do that today. Oh well. On to the salon. Lauretta was surprised at how long my hair was, and how "normal" it feels. We both think that the hair is what it is going to be. Definitely thicker than it was, and still straight. I'm happy to have it (even though chemo-bald is easier/faster to groom). I thanked her and went on my way.

On the way home, I drove through the Ford car lot, dreaming. There is a new vehicle, the Flex, that I wanted to see. OOOOOOOOOO. XOXOXOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm liking this vehicle. I'm going to have to be real creative if I'm going to actually purchase this vehicle. Right now, I'm just thinking.

Back home, Dan was in a better mood, and feeling a little better. He's extremely disappointed about his health status interfering with a desired Florida hiatus, but he wants to make sure he's in optimal health for a planned Myrtle Beach golf excursion in March. We had a bite to eat and continued on with our evening.

I find the snow to be beautiful. The puffs of white on the evergreen branches, the snow mounded on bare-branch trees--I could only exclaim how beautiful it is and thank God for allowing me to see it and share His beauty.

Tomorrow is household day, catching up on routine; nothing else that I'm aware of.

I did not know until just today that it is National Delurker Day. That’s when blog readers are asked to stop just silently reading…and to comment and let writers know who you are and that you ARE actually lurking out there reading what we are writing. GO AHEAD, expose yourself...


Thank you for reading. Hugs.

3 comments:

  1. OK SiS,
    You know that Kathy Sue and I are here every morning with you shareing your journey.
    Much Love to you and Dan,
    Tom and Kathy Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok ok, me too....although now that I don't have a desk job anymore....it's not so routine...but I do stop by often! Funny how being at home brings on a routine all of itself ~ that I am really enjoying at the moment!

    Sending you love ~

    ReplyDelete