Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tuesday 2.5.2008 The Other Wig

Day 21, Treatment #1

Yes, I worked today, and wore the other wig, the longer redder, more sassy one. Today when I turned the corner to the unit, I walked right in, stood there, and let it happen. Squeals and smiles. Since I don't color my hair, or even get adventurous with a style, this is completely "out there" for me. Everyone liked it, or so they said.

And so the day went on. I was a rather nice day--I can say that now that we're clocked out. I had taken the shorter brown wig also to show, and a scarf, too, if I couldn't do either wig any more. It was kind of fun to take my hair off and show my lack of hair. It's not completely gone, yet. Pretty close. Like a one-year-old's head. Baby fine, sparse. My scalp can be seen easily now.

I had some visitors today at the hospital, my niece Cari, her daughters Chelsea with the beautiful chrome-less smile, and Heaven, who thought that wigs are "awesome". Cari took pics with her phone. If they get sent to me, I'll post them. It was the highlight of my day, the hugs from my girls. Thanks for taking the time to park and come into the building. That meant a lot.

After work I went to the care home. I got mom washed up and tucked into bed. The girls there saw me in the hall but didn't recognise me until they got a little closer. The votes were mixed over there--one or two for the shorter brown wig, the majority for the more red one.

It started raining pretty good by the time I left, large drops with snow in it, looking like mostly melted slushballs when they hit the windshield. The rain turned into slush, but didn't freeze on the windshield wipers, like some times that I've driven. And it was accumulating on the road. What a mess! Just outside of Jackson the first car was off the road. The total count between Jackson and the Holt Road exit was 9 vehicles off the road, one of them being the sheriff, losing control in the southbound lane, sliding through the median, and coming directly towards me. I was traveling just fast enough so that I was out of the way before the sheriff's cruiser stopped, the frame of that vehicle wedged sideways in the median. By that time, I was driving along at a whopping 25 mph. I was planning to get home safely. And I did. The 10th vehicle spun out in front of me on Holt Road, as I was travelling 25 mph. Wow. That vehicle recovered, and took right off driving towards Holt like nothing happened. Good for him.

I will say, that in the 2 years that I have been driving that route on a daily basis, this was the worst. But, with thanks and praise to God, I made it.

At home, I visited with Daniel. I'm still a smidgen shakey. He goes to bed, I write here. I'm really tired tonight. Tomorrow, Wednesday, is Treatment #2, 10:00 am. I'm anxious, though not as anxious as the first treatment. I will be taking my beautiful pathway with me (not that I don't ever not have it), and will pay attention as best I can so that I can write about it. And I will have Daniel with me, and our notebook. I will not be wearing a wig tomorrow. probably just a scarf. We'll see.

Thanks for reading. I ask that tomorrow you pray for us, appointment time 10:00, infusions last time took over 3 hours. Hugs to all.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sis,
    Treatment#2 will go just fine. That you are in my thoughts and prayes goes without asking. Keeping your strength up, eating well, and positive attitude, that cancer doesn't have a chance!! Butt kickin' time
    Love and support to both of you,
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you yesterday! You look great, with and without the wigs. I'm working on those pics for you. Love, energy and strength for you today, and everyday.
    All our love to you and Dan.

    Cari and fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, thinking of you today, sending warm thoughts, hugs and wishes. Hope your treatment went easy today and will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and having you in my prayers that all goes well today (Wed.)Also for safety on the roads.
    Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KJ...I'm sending you some strength hope you can feel it and lots of love. Hailee prayed for Miss Kathy last night along with me..we love you and are cheering you on....Joy~

    ReplyDelete