Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday 04.13.2010

I got up and went to work; Dan didn't. He got up, though, for yet another trip to the bathroom. Yep, still going.

I had a safe drive to work, thank you God, and was surprised that it was my "turn" to be "floated" off the unit. Ugh. I put on my best professional pleasant face and had the mindset to make the best of it. I had heard that I would be "sitting" with a patient, so I printed off a few pencil puzzles and took them with me. Big breath...

I ended up spending 8 hours with a very nice 85 year old woman who had been getting out of bed frequently. The person I relieved didn't know much more than that, and when I asked the RN that was taking care of her, I didn't get an answer either. Ok, so that's how you want to play...

I fed her breakfast and lunch, talked to her, took her to the bathroom several times, washed her up, combed her hair, etc. She didn't realize/know where she was, and one time when someone was talking with her, she started babbling, just like Elaine would do. Very strange. Makes me wonder if that's a common response when that certain part of the brain doesn't work right. She slept about 4 hours between breakfast and lunch, too. The staff were kind enough to remember to "spell" me so that I could have a couple of breaks.

I realized when another staff person (called a Patient Sitter in our facility) came in at 3 PM to take over, that I had enjoyed my time with this nice lady, and I thanked God for that gift today. And when I got back to my own unit, I wasn't needed there, either, so I was able to go home.

Dan was sound asleep in bed when I got there. I mostly packed my suitcase, checked the refrigerator to see what I might want to take with me if I do decide to go to the lake. Depending on how Daniel is doing, of course.

I had supper and was putting things away when I heard him. He got up, and said that he had been sleeping since about 2, had stooled a few times, and taken imodium a few times, too. And had not stooled since eating banana and applesauce and some of that instant chicken noodle soup. We visited a bit, and about 6:30, I felt he was going to be ok without me, and asked if he minded if I went to the lake. No, he said, and helped me carry things down to the garage.

I had a good drive up, thank you God, seeing a few small groups (herds?) of deer, but no creatures in the roadway. I stopped at Meijer at Wilder Road, which makes a nice break for this trip. I arrived at the cabin about 10:40--clear, starry, 41 degrees, beautiful.

There's been some kind of bug hatch, like a mayfly but not as big, all over the outside of the house. I swept off near the door to help keep them out as I was unloading.

I got settled in and called Dan. He's doing a little better (still no stooling) but is still tired and wore-out feeling. I got the bed made and most things put away, and am ready for bed.

Tomorrow is predicted to be 67 degrees. I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. That was a gift! God placed you there for her 'Patient Sitter.' That very nice woman's day was blessed and so was yours!

    xoxox KS

    ReplyDelete