Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wednesday 12.31.2008 A Full Year's End

We slept for what seemed to be a long night, each of us waking at different intervals throughout the night. We got up, Dan had breakfast, and went back to bed for a couple more hours. When he did get up, he said he felt better.

I enjoyed a quiet morning, what with Daniel home and recuperating in our own bed. My "head pressure" I think is more from the eustachian tubes being blocked. I took a clariton to see if that would help, and it did, but my ears still felt full a few hours later, so I added a sudafed. That helped, too. Not totally cleared up yet, but better.

We went out to Meijer. The store was really busy, especially in the grocery department. We were almost done with the items on our list; Dan said he would meet me over in the household storage area where it was quieter. Later he said that he was getting overwhelmed with all the people in the store. I can relate--there have been times when I've gone through the checkout before I had completed my list. Sometimes I just don't do well around a lot of people.

We got home and got our purchases upstairs--Dan sat down to rest. That was the first "outing" since his procedure on the 22nd.

He's done well with dietary changes so far. He's found a program on the internet--caloriecount.com, I think--that he's been using. Dan's been able to keep his sodium intake below 1500 mg and calories under 1750.

My shoulder has been aching today, as has the breast. Since Ike has discharged me, I have to wait until it gets worse before going through the processes again--calling the doctor for an order then scheduling an appointment at the therapy place. I guess it's not all that difficult; it's disappointing to me that an excellent therapist won't continue treatment with a lesser amount of swelling/discomfort.

It's almost 10:30 and Dan has gone back to bed. He's still itching intermittently and taking the prednisone taper. A lot of the rash discoloration is gone, but there are still areas where the color has gone from pink/red to brown. Very odd. The bruising in the groin area has extended about 6 inches down his leg on the top of his thigh. The initial area of bruising in the groin is a faded yellow green now. He's still saying he wants to stay on track with the next procedure on January 5. Ok...

The year 2008 was certainly a full one for us, health-wise. Daniel and I have been given extended lives, and I am truly thankful for the gifts of health and life.

I am especially thankful for the awarenesses of the love and support of all of you, for each of you have blessed me by being a part of my life.

May 2009 bring us continued good fortune and good friends and family to share it with.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Kathy and Dan!

    Yeah, it's been a heckuva year but now its gone and a brand new one stands ready in front of us. "Brand new with no mistakes in it.." is what Anne Shirley told her teacher in that great story "Anne of Green Gables".

    We remain grateful for all that has been given to us, including at the very top of the list, our families. Your postive attitudes as you have both faced such difficult challanges, are an enduring source of inspiration to all who know you.

    We wish you both the very best of everything all year long.

    We love you both,

    Jim and Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, J&P.

    Inspiring?! That humbles me.

    Just trying to appreciate the gifts that God has given.

    Much love from our home to yours.

    ReplyDelete