Thursday, July 24, 2008

Tuesday 7.22.2008

The rain stopped and started several times through the night, and this morning it’s still drying to drizzle. It will stop long enough to give hope that it’s done, then start again. The thermometer on the tree shows 70 degrees.

We have a leak in the underground gas line from the tank to the house, and the crew is scheduled to be here today. Dan said morning, but I think he said afternoon when he initially told me. No matter—I’ll be here.

I putzed around the house, ending up sorting the drawers and doors of the hutch thing in the kitchen. Treasures abound. Memories for the Jacque family of their mother, Germaine, who passed away in 2005, shortly after Dan and I met.

It was creeping up to noon, and I got ready to go into Hale to stop at the Amerigas office to check on the schedule. I also wanted a few groceries, and while in town, find an internet connection.

I dropped the mail into the box at the post office, and there was a large, mostly empty parking lot behind businesses, and the next lot over was the Plainfield Township office building, which contains the library. I got the computer out, and wa-la! Connected to Plainfield Township Library Hot Spot!! So I sat in my car in the rain, quickly checking email and other internet stuff I wanted to do. Done.

Over to Amerigas.

The nice lady at the desk came up and asked if she could help me. I told her that we were scheduled for an underground line replacement, Husband thought it was this morning, and could you tell me when that project might happen?? She went over to their project scheduling sheet that was posted on the wall. She said they had 2 tanks to set this morning, and that the crew would probably be there soon. She called the guy—they are on their way, and will be there in about 20 minutes. Oh. Thank you. I’d like to go next door and get a few items at the grocery. I’ll be there just as soon as I get done. And is there a number I can call to get into this office? Sure, she said, and wrote it on a sticky note for me. Thanks again. As I was leaving, she called the guys back to let them know that I’ll be there shortly.

I went into the grocery store, picked up the items that I wanted, and left. Sure enough, the guys were there. I introduced myself, and commented about hand-digging. They said that there would be lots of tree roots, and just as east to hand dig. I was surprised that the line is only about 10 inches below ground. I heard a boat—Tom was motoring over. I met him on the dock. He tied up and came up.

We stood and watched them a few minutes, then it started drizzling again. Tom helped carry the computer while I got the groceries out, and we went inside.

We visited a bit, and he left. I had a bite to eat.

The gas line guys had finished. The dirt has been raked back over, and looks real nice. The guy came in to light the pilot on the furnace, and I paid attention. It lit, he had me turn up the thermostat to make sure there was no air in the line. Poof, the pilot went out. He chuckled. Yep, there’s one. He relit it, and this time it ran seamlessly. Thank you, gas line guys.

Time to tackle that garage again.

I was very surprised how much dirt was in there. I cleaned off a couple of shelves, discarding empty packaging, grouping items together, trying to organize a little more. I finally finished up about 9:30. Good job done.

I washed up and fixed something to eat.

The rain has stopped, and the lake is mirror quiet. A beautiful night.

Thank you, Lord, for this gift of life.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Aunt Kath! Ahhhh the Lake. You've noticed none of us need to say Hale, or Long Lake, it's "the lake". The lake of 3 generations of Goodwin children's summer memories. How blessed we are, in so many ways. Uncle David's words from Grandma's vigil come to me frequently and came to me again at the Splash Down when you thanked everyone who stood in that circle with you. "It's what we do" Aunt Kathy. We do it without thought or reservation. We do it because we love. I am thankful everyday that you are here with us and once again healthy. Enjoy the lake! Your colors follow you wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to sign off on my post. Ok here goes:
    Love, Carianne the Beautiful! He he

    ReplyDelete