Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday 7.3.2008 Radiation Follow-Up

This morning we got up and went over to the Radiation Center for our 0945 appointment. We went into the building and approached the desk. The Nice Lady behind the window smiled and greeted me with recognition. I expected to be told to go on back through The Door and wait back there, but she told us to have a seat in the waiting area in front.

Dan and I chatted while we waited, and soon someone called "Katherine". Dan and I got up and went over to the other Door, where you exit from after seeing the doctor. The woman who called me was a new girl who I had only seen a few times, and never really met. On the way back, we stopped at the scales. 141 1/2!!!! I was so happy to be less than the last time. In fact, the first weight at that office in ?December was 144. She showed us into Room 1.

She didn't introduce herself, and I don't think she had a badge on, either. She came into the room with us and took my blood pressure. 100/40. She was very pleasant, asking how I was feeling, saying how good I looked. She was done with the vitals, and she went out.

A few minutes later, Melissa came in. (she's the one who's picture is on here) We chatted a little, I asked her if she's got hair (she does, about 1/4 inch, sticking straight up) and asked if I could feel it. (It's soft, but different than mine.) She asked me the questions on the list, and we talked about how I was feeling. We also talked about how she was doing; she's into the last phase of her radiation, and her skin that was showing in the v-neck of the scrub top was the dark glowing red that I know hurts. She then had me undress to check my breast. She thinks it's looking real good. I told her that the areola had just finished peeling yesterday, showed her where the nipple is still going to peel, and told her how it itches from the inside out. I then put on a gown to wait for the doctor to come in. I invited Melissa to the Celebration Party, and she immediately accepted! We finished up, she hugged me, then hugged me again, and left.

A few minutes later, Dr. DeBiose came in. He shook my hand, then Daniel's. We chatted a couple minutes, then he had me get onto the exam table. He listened to my heart and lungs, felt my neck, clavicles, and armpits (I'm pretty sure he was checking lymph nodes), then had me lay back. He checked my breast, wounds, and skin, helped me sit up, and declared me good. We talked about having follow-up mammograms: that I will have bilateral mamms done in November, they will probably want extra films of the affected breast, and will want to do the affected breast at 6 month intervals. (I don't think he said if that will be forever or just for a period of time) I told him that I will be doing those mamms here at the Breast Care Center, and he nodded like that was a good thing. He also asked when I see the medical oncologist, Dr. Bolmer--I told him September. He nodded again. Then he said I can have my regular physicals with my regular physician (Dr. Taylor), and that I have all the right doctors in place, and from here he can discharge me. Woo Hoo!!!! One doctor done with!!!! And no more follow-ups with him. He shook our hands again, I thanked him, and I invited him to our Party. He mumbled something about checking the calendar, and left the room. Dan and I both kind of chuckled about how he left the room, and we know that he is not likely to show up. That's ok. I extended the invitation.

I put my clothes back on, and Daniel and I left. I turned and said good-bye to the room, and in the hallway, I waved good-bye to the other waiting area that I glimpsed. As we went through the Exit Door I looked back again and waved, and the lady who had brought us back in the first place was there. She waved back. We went through the outer waiting area and to the door, and I turned and waved again. I know, I was feeling--let's see, elated? free? giddy? I thanked God for putting me in the right places for the right people to take care of me.

It seems that to be "discharged" from the treatment process means that my life's schedule can begin to return to normal. But, that will be re-defined, as my life now is different than when this process started, going to Jackson every day to get Elaine tucked in. And with Breon getting married and moving out, Daniel and I will continue to grow our own relationship. Smile.

At home, we each had a bite to eat. I made a grocery list, and while Daniel was on the computer, I went out on the balcony. It was finally clearing up. He came out and asked if we should go to the store--yep--so off we went.

We had a successful shopping trip and returned home. We got the groceries put away, and I started dinner. I checked email while it was cooking, and sat outside again for a bit, but it was cooling off, so I came in. Dinner was ready anyway.

After dinner, I got the kitchen cleaned up, and wrote here.

Tomorrow is my holiday to work. It's an 8 hour shift, so that's not so bad. But it's also my weekend to work, so I get Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have a hard time that 3rd morning, and throughout the day. We'll just see how it goes.

I hope you all have great weekend plans. Thank you for taking the time to read. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment