Saturday, July 12, 2008

Friday 7.11.2008 At the Hexagon House

Friday June 11, 2008 Hexagon House

I finally got to bed about 1:30 this morning after finishing on the computer. I feel like I slept pretty well.

We got up and got ready for the day. After I showered and breakfasted, I looked at the items I had selected to wear and take for the weekend in Pentwater. Daniel fluttered around, and I had difficulty staying on task.

Bre and Nick had gotten up, still giggling. They were able to load what we were going to take up for them into their car, and we had room for one of Daniel’s grandchildren to ride with us. I finished packing; we had about an hour. I checked my toenails, then went out to water the flowers good before leaving.

We loaded the car, and Daniel went up to get The Gown. He handed it in through the back, while I reached in through the back door and pulled it forward. The same with the crinoline. Between the two, the car was full. We were off.

We stopped at the bank for cash, then over to pick up the grandchild, Kayla, at the other grandparent’s home. Daughter Kim and family were there, and I took the opportunity to use the restroom before getting on the highway. Kim’s mother-in-law, Mary, asked how I was doing, and I told her “excellent”. She stood up and gave me a big hug, saying she had been praying for me. Wow. Thank you, Mary.

Kim had her dress to put in our car. Oh. When I came out of the house, Daniel had the back of the car open, looking like there was a problem. There was. When he closed the hatch earlier, the crinoline had slipped down, and the edge of the bag it was in had gotten caught in the latch. Black grease was on the outer bag, and also gone through onto the slip itself. Uh Oh. We’ll have to evaluate and treat after getting there. At least it’s on the slip and not The Gown itself.

Kim and Bob and family were ready to go; we hit the highway. 2 ½ hours later we arrived in beautiful Pentwater, MI, at the Hexagon House.

What a beautiful Inn. We had the whole house for the weekend. 4 bedrooms upstairs, and a suite downstairs. A wrap-around porch on both floors.

We were greeted by Tom, the Innkeeper. Bre and Nick had arrived earlier (they had bridesmaid Nicki and friend Dan with them also.) Tom helped get things out of the car. Daniel carried the crinoline and gown in, and told Bre “there’s a problem with The Gown”… I told him I’d tell her, and took the bag from him. Bre took The Gown, and I followed her into the suite. She hung up her gown, and turned to take the slip from me. I told her, “really, there’s a problem with the crinoline. It got caught in the latch, and there’s grease on it.” She searched my eyes. “You’re not kidding.” Nope. We looked for it on the bottom of the bag. “Oh,” she said, “that’s not bad. No big deal.” And that was it. She turned and walked out. Hm. Cool.
Tom introduced us to his wife, Amy. Amy showed us through the main floor, then took us upstairs and showed us the rooms there. We had our pick, since we were first ones there. We chose the Homestead Room, done in ivory and dark blues. Very nice.

Kim and Bob arrived shortly, and chose their room. Nick’s parents George and Luann arrived and chose their room, and Nick’s brother Brad, wife Jessica, and their children arrived and settled into their room.

Bre and Nick and Nikki and others were on the upstairs deck. We all milled about, checking out our surroundings. Lovely.

We moved the rental tables and chairs to the porch. The pastor arrived and met with the bride and groom, and after looking at the setting and discussing options, they chose to set up the ceremony on the upper deck. We moved chairs up, and the rehearsal began.

Laughter, and tears, during the run-throughs.

Afterwards, we had a pizza party on the first floor porch with the tables and chairs we had set up earlier. Daniel’s youngest daughter, Kristen, and her friend Steve, arrived from Colorado.

Most of the group went to the beach, while Daniel, Kris, Steve, and I visited. They were pretty tired after their day of travel, and went back to their hotel in Ludington. Daniel went up to our room to watch a golf video. (I think he needed to rest). I went outdoors, walked the premises, then went across the road where there was a river or canal or inlet or something. I went back to the Inn, and asked Dan if he was done with his video. He graciously turned it off, and we went to a public beach, walked along the water’s edge, catching the tail end of the sunset. Very nice.

Back at the Inn, the others had returned. A group gathered in the family room watching 27 Dresses. Others were doing whatever they were doing. I took the computer to the family room to socialize while I wrote this.

Again, it’s after midnight. The movie is finishing, this is done, and once again, it’s way too long.

I’m feeling pretty good today, and glad of it.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment