Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday 03.12.2009

I didn't sleep well last night--seems I listened to Daniel sleeping in-between snoozes. I listened to the radio a couple of times during the night, turning it off when I felt that I was going off to sleep. Ah, well, time to get up. I'll sleep eventually.

Dan and I went over to Dr. Al-Sheikh's office for his 11 o'clock appointment. That office usually runs late, and we didn't get called back until almost noon. Dan was getting anxious.

The good news is that his weight has stayed the same. Doctor wants him to continue with the same medications, including the same doses of insulin, and return in three months. He wrote out a lab slip for Dan, and after some general chit chat, we were done.

We stopped at Zeus Coney Island on the way home--Daniel likes the gyros there. I had a chicken gyro. The pita bread there is wonderful, soft and warm. I ended up taking most of the chicken out of my sandwich--there was a lot of it, and I'm not sure I'm keen on the seasoning.

At home, I did a little research about vehicle donation, talked about it with Daniel, and went to the shop where the '91 van is. I've been given a preliminary estimate for brake lines and electrical grounding problems and a few other things that put the cost of the repair at more than the vehicle is worth. I called the donation place and was told it didn't matter what condition the vehicle is in. It could be sitting out in the yard for years and they come get it. And we get a tax write-off. When I told the manager, he was relieved, and said that people often donate vehicles when the cost of the repair is greater than the value of the vehicle. Oh. New to me. I had also taken 3 six gallon gas cans with me, as Frank had filled the tank when he brought it back. I asked the manager if it was possible to get the gas from the tank? He said "sure", he would call me when it's ready for me to pick up. Ok, thanks. I paid the nominal bill for the tow in and some of the labor. I'm sure that I wasn't charged for the actual amount of time that had been spent on it.

I went home and was settling down when the guy called and told me the gas was ready. Ok, thanks. I went back over there and the nice man Leroy put the filled containers into my trunk. I looked through the van again, and oh-my-gosh, nostalgia. I know it's just a vehicle, but I've driven that van since 1995. Yep. I'm sad it has aged. I took the floor mats with me. I thanked the vehicle for the many years of reliable service, and thanked God for timing of the brake line failure. (sitting in the parking space, not when being driven) That could have been really ugly.

Back home, Dan and I were settling in again, and there was a knock at the door. Breon! We both had forgotten that she had called yesterday to stop in this evening.

We went out to Los Tres Amigos and had a yummy meal with good company. We hadn't seen her since Christmas, and we caught up. She looks good and seems to be doing ok, fair, pretty good. She stayed and visited the remainder of the evening, leaving just before 10.

Daniel watched a little television while I caught up on email and wrote here. He went off to bed a while ago. I'm ready, too, soon.

I was able to wear the compression garment for about 6 hours today. I tried putting the single sleeve on the lower half of the arm, overlapping the garment sleeve just below the elbow. The hem of the garment sleeve is just uncomfortably snug; the compression sleeve seemed to continue that compression down to the wrist. I tried the hand gauntlet, too, but that was plain too tight and uncomfortable. I didn't wear that.

The garment is actually quite comfortable, other than a bit warm. I don't think there's much that can be done about it. Smile and wave.

I guess that's it.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment