Monday, December 10, 2007

Dry Pad 12.10.2007

I got up today and checked that peri pad. Uh Oh. It's dry--with only a spot about a nickel size. Hm. Where's all that fluid. WHOA!! Look at that breast!! Ooo, man, it hurts, too. Well. I had planned to go out and exercise today, so I stayed on track to do that. I was just changing into my running clothes, and Daniel came in (he had gone to work out this morning). I told him that the drain hole had stopped draining, and he saw that the area above the incision was swelling again, and turning red. I went out anyway and enjoyed my time outdoors. When I came in, the lump was larger still. I took off both of the sports bras--whew--that breast is really full. And it looks like it's discoloring on the underside, or bottom half of the breast. Dan thought so too. We (I) called Dr. Sanchez' office.

Kim answered the phone, and I explained what was happening. She said not to be surprised if that pops open again, and lots and lots of fluid comes out. I had to really try to let her talk to me like a patient and for me not to talk to her like I'm a nurse. I told her the underside of the breast was looking shadowed or discolored, and she went on to offer me an appointment for Tuesday at 11:30 am. Perfect, I said, as I repeated 11:30 tomorrow morning. Dan nodded his head, I think we were both relieved to have an appointment. I went in to shower.

The warm water felt really good, but the breast/nipple area is so tight it's tender just to have the water hit it. I lifted my arm some and soaked that incision. The lump was larger, and I had the notion to manipulate the hole in that incision with a fingernail. I can't feel it anyway, that nerve has been cut. So I did, and Whoa, it spurted just like in the office. Lots and lots of that yellow-orange fluid. Streaming out. Not running down my side, streaming, arcing. I was surprised at how long it streamed out. Several seconds, maybe even a minute. I wish I could have measured it, but I was in the shower and the water was running, so I just let the stuff escape. I massaged the areas around the incision, moving the fluid from the edges of the lump toward the drain hole. Did that feel better. I tried to move the lymph fluid in the breast, but that's not as easy to do. I'm not sure I was able to do much with that. But I got that incision opened up, and that's what counted. Much better.

Dan helped me get the ace wrap back on, in a configuration that compresses the area where the fluid collects, and put a peri pad in place. I finished grooming, prepared and ate lunch, and it was time to go to Jackson. My intent was to write before I went down, but time ran out. So, I write later in the evening.

I have had 2 1/2 tylenol, which, unfortunately didn't help much. We'll see what Dr. thinks tomorrow.


Thank you for all the responses to the postings; Renee and Carolynn, Wow, thanks for writing. Renee, who had cancer, and Carolynn, who didn't. We all carry the responsibilities of our breasts. And the men, too. Dr. Sanchez tells me to remind you all to check your chests, especially my sons and brothers, or any male with first line history.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Kathy, Sounds like you are on the way for a full recovery. Have a good Dr. appointment.
    read ya later.
    Love ya,
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Kathy! Sorry I haven't written in a few days. I read every day, even when I don't comment. Sounds like you're still doing well. Thank God. I'll think of you at 11:30 today, and send positive energy to you. Love, hugs and kisses. Cari

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Women agonize...over cancer; we take as a personal threat the lump in every friend's breast."
    ~Martha Weinman Lear, Heartsounds

    I think you hit it right on when you said "We all carry the responsibilities of our breasts." Not only do we all love ya but we literally take it as a personal attack when breast cancer is detected and the battle is begun. It's no wonder the outpouring of support and love and prayer and sisterhood-- we know it could be any one of us. So, when yet another woman is a survivor, it's as if another battle has been won in the war against those nastly little mutant cells!

    March onward ~ we're all behind ya!

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXO ~ Kimberly

    ReplyDelete