Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sunday 02.09.2014

Today as the temperature got to the mid 20's and the sun was out, the water was dripping. I cleared out the back room, all except the coat rack, the bookshelf I use as a pantry, and the corner curio, which I emptied and moved to the corner by the staircase. It may have to go down in the basement, but I'm pretty sure it's safe where it is for now.

While I was out there, I heard the ominous ticking.  I mean dripping.  Overhead, onto the drywalled ceiling. All that water is running over to where the ceiling and wall meet, going where ever it can. Into the drywall joints, inside the wall, dripping out of the top of the door jamb and window casing, collecting behind the paint. There was a huge paint bubble at the bottom of the door frame that burst, saturating the towel that was there. Two towels completely saturated today, and another one really wet.

Frank came over this afternoon and shoveled the driveway again, and also dug a path to the front door. I had been stepping in my footprints, and was going to shovel that today, but he did it for me.  He was also able to push while I pulled, and we got the back door open. I chopped the half inch of ice from the sill/threshold there between the doors, and the ice on the inside of the frame. Gosh, this is a real mess.

I texted the property manager again, telling her the ice dam was causing great damage to the back room, with water soaking the ceiling, wall, bubbling the paint, and advised her to come inspect TODAY! She responded a couple hours later, and a maintenance person came over an hour or so after that.

He kind of poo-poo'd the situation. By the time he got there, the sun had shifted and the water had slowed down from the top of the door, and the ice was almost melted. We saw where the water is sheeting down the outside foundation wall--looks like frozen Niagara Falls. The area between the porch and the driveway where the shrub is, is where the water is collecting, and the ice is several inches thick. And the water is starting to run out onto the driveway.

He said I have a leak in the roof up there, and he'll get up there tomorrow and shovel it off to see what's going on. We talked for a bit--he looked at me as if I were a stupid girl. I hope it's only as bad as he thinks it is, and not as bad as I think it is.  Regardless, interior repairs will need to be done. And I hope they do it right. None of the cover-up stuff.

Single digit temps tonight. Work day tomorrow. He'd better not shovel that snow into the driveway and leave it there....

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment