Saturday, January 5, 2008

Saturday 1.5.2008

What a nice day. We slept until Daniel's phone rang--and that was at 0900!! I dozed a bit, made a phone call myself, got up about 10. Breakfast, shower, life is good. I took the Christmas tree down, packed up the few other decorations we had out, and vacuumed throughout. Had a bite to eat, went to Jackson, came home, and now we're watching football.

One of the Comments about the wigs had a couple of good questions that I'll respond to here.


"Does it feel weird on your head?" Yes, probably because I don't wear hats or headbands or barrettes or anything. And the most surprising thing was that even within the same line, the Sophie style, for instance, the caps were a little different on the inside, so they felt different. Even with the nylon cap on my head. I'm sure they'll feel even weirder without hair... And there are wig liners to put on your scalp for comfort or to adjust fit.


"Try a Cher style..." On Shopping Day 1 Crystal had brought in a long haired beauty, just to try on. It was horrible. I thought I would love the feel of the hair, but it was the synthetic hair, and very thick. When I tried to move it around, you know, like fling it back over my shoulder, it stuck and was static-y and fly-away. It did not move well at all.


"How many wigs does the insurance cover?" Unfortunately, BCBSM does not cover hair prostheses. It does cover 2 breasts and 2 bras per year, but no hair. Fortunately we have a cancer insurance plan, and that pays $300.00 for a wig purchase. So, it's not about how many wigs get reimbursed, it's how far can I make the $300.00 go. Curious as to costs? Google wigs and look them up.....

There are wig styling products, too, like mousse, styling spray, shampoo, sculpting/hold product. We were told to be careful with heat, like opening the oven door and lifting the lid on a pan (for the steam), as the heat makes the synthetic hair frizz. Sometimes the wig place can fix the hair, but sometimes not.

Remember that I'm not going to make that purchase until I need to, to see what happens with the hair loss, scalp sensitivity, and what happens to my skin tones. I may need a different color than what we think. And we weren't all about styling the wigs on those days, we were looking at potentials. Both ladies said I could wear a lot of different styles...that I have a "versatile" face. : )

I appreciate all the comments, and look forward to reading them. We have one whopping support network here, that runs both ways. Thank you so much. I love you all.


P.S. Clean panties today, finally. 8 days. (If you haven't been reading every day, please see the Post "Girls, Only" 1.1.2008)

2 comments:

  1. Hey ~ in light of those discoveries (synthetic hair is funky, wig liners & comfort factors) maybe you should adopt the gypsy approach and simply do the scarf-head-wrap thing! That way your skin tone, makeup, amout of hair, etc wouldn't matter & you could wear multiple scarves to fit your moods. Ugh, the wig search is tiring --- even thru cyberspace!

    I say the simpler the better!

    XOXOXOXOOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew there were some many factors and choices?! You'll look fantastic whichever way you go. Bald is beautiful too!
    Love and hugs,
    Cari

    ReplyDelete