Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Too Hot 11.21.2007

Dan and I were on the way to the hospital, my cell phone rings. I miss the call, and don't recognize the number. Dan drops me at the door, and I go in to register. At the desk, they tell me just a minute, I think the Dr. wants to talk with you first. Oh?? I am directed to go over to the Breast Care Center (around back on the opposite side of the building), so I go outdoors to meet Dan who is walking through the parking lot and tell him that we need to drive around to the Breast Care Center first. As I am getting out of the car, my phone rings again, and it's Dr. Sanchez. She says she wants to talk with us before we do the surgery. I tell her I we are right outside the Center, and she says she'll join us soon. Dan parks and joins me inside.

I am standing at the window to let them know I am there, and the receptionist girl is on the phone, saying my name. I tell her I'm here, and she asks me to have a seat. Yeah right. I'm pretty jumpy about now. Dan too. Dan comes in, we wait a few minutes and get called back. Dr. Sanchez comes in with my file (which is about an inch thick already) and flips some pages. (Come on, come on, what's up???)

She tells me that all the scans that were done Monday came back normal. (Exhale) However, with the amount of radioactive stuff that had been infused into my body, she was uncomfortable with looking for the sentinal nodes in the axilla. The glow-stuff takes about three days to clear, and we're not there yet. She explained that the way she looks for the sentinal node is to inject glow stuff, then a second stuff that turns the nodes blue, and she's afraid that I'm still so "hot" now that all the nodes will glow and she won't have a clear indicator as to which are the sentinal nodes. So, after consulting with the pathologist, radiologist, and who knows who else, she says she's not comfortable doing the procedure today and will reschedule for Friday November 23 for 1:00pm. (Exhale again.)

Ok. Kathy the scheduler comes in, and tells me that Dr. Sanchez has been on the phone this morning for 2 hours trying to figure this out. And, by the way, were you called and told your surgery was moved up to 12 noon?? (Oh??) Nope, not called. The patient scheduled before me cancelled her surgery yesterday, so they put me in that slot. Oh. Irrelevant now. We've rescheduled for Friday, and I need to be at admtting at 0930.

Breathe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kath,
    OMG girl--just finished reading your posts on this blog thing--my 'dial up' is sooooo slow that I haven't tried to access this journal of yours until now--finally got a decent kbps to make the wait worthwhile.
    ANYWAYS---I can't believe all you've gone thru the past couple of days--and especially that, having geared yourself up for your surgery date, to be cancelled that morning as you're walking in the door!!!! I can understand why your Dr. needed to cancel--have done tons of sentinel node biopsies with the little 'gieger counter' and know how important it is to have exact readings for those biopsies to make sure of the margins of the tumor and nodes--and have had to do all the labelings of suture markings for the radiologist/pathologist to know exactly where everything they're looking at came from.
    I suppose that, being strictly an OR RN, I'm amazed at the battery of testings that goes on prior to my greeting my patient in pre-op and what they've gone thru to get to that point in their journey. I've assisted with some MRI's of breasts and I know that part is not easy at all on the patient. I'm glad to hear that you've had some wonderful tech's to assist you with the most uncomfortable parts of your diagnosing regimen.
    You've been in my thoughts and prayers almost constantly this past week and I'm so grateful (as you are) that you've been surrounded by caring co-workers and others during this most difficult pathway. Know that I'm there with you in spirit and wish I could be with you during your procedure and say as you're drifting off, "We'll be taking good care of you" as the propofol kicks in!!!!
    So, on Friday--know that I'll be thinking just that--around noonish, huh??!!
    Love and Hugs,
    Vonnie

    ReplyDelete