Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday 04.25.2013 Travel Day

I left Jackson around noon, driving in the "snain"--combination of snow and rain. It  eased up, and finally stopped by the time I got to the airport.

Parked, waited for a kiosk, then waited in the security line. Down to the gate, I settled in to wait for boarding time, getting the computer out and catching up on the email. Done with that, I still had a half hour or so to wait, so I took my new suitcase/bag for a walk after putting everything away. Yes, it rolls very nicely, and we had a lot of fun going up and down the shiny floors of our concourse area.

Then the announcement that we were going to be delayed.

And delayed again.

"Maintenance Issues"

Ok, I'd like to be in a safe plane.

We boarded our 3:25 flight at 4:50, but didn't leave the gate until 5:20. *sigh*

US Air announced several times that they were aware that many of us had connecting flights, and that when we got to Charlotte the "champions" or whatever they called themselves would call us by name to tell us what our next flight would be.  The flight to Savannah, however, had also been delayed (was the flight waiting for us??), and we had 20 minutes to get to another gate at the opposite end of the terminal.

I was walking briskly (my bag had been mandatorily "gate-checked" in Detroit) when the go-cart vehicle came up beside me and stopped.  "You in a hurry?" the driver asked. I told him yes, answered what gate I was going to, and he said to hop in. Cool!!

So I rode on the buggy through the terminal. That was neat--faster than walking all that way.  I made it in plenty of time to check in for the 6:30-now-7 o'clock flight.

Delayed until 7:35. Delayed until....the announcer said it was time to board.  Which was 8:10. *sigh* again.

We finally took off about 8:25, after 4 passengers had to show their tickets, three separate times, to different airline people. Don't know what it was about, but we were finally on the way.

In Savannah, now I had to wait for the bag. Seeing the carousel wasn't moving, I was on the way to the restroom when I saw Jeremy's truck outside. I went out there--so beautifully warm and balmy--put the computer bag in the truck and hugged Jeremy.  Went back in to use the restroom, waited til the bag came through, and we were on the way to Bluffton.

We finally got to the house about 10:30 pm.  Long day.

Of course, Matilda was sleeping, but Lola the granddog was happy to see me, as was Jenny. We visited for a bit, and we all turned in for the night.

Tomorrow the parents are going to work, and I'm with Matilda.  YIKES!!!   I hope we get along!!  I haven't taken care of an active, busy 7 1/2 month old in a loooong time.

I'm feeling pretty good after a day of safe travel, thank you God.

And thank you for reading. Hugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment