Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wednesday 06.29.2011 Cardiology Appointment

What a beautiful day today!! Still a bit cool for the end of June (mid 70's), but blue sky and full sun. Ahhh.

At the Cardiology office today, I saw the Physician Assistant. Seems that their practice alternates the PA with the Physician every other visit, unless the patient specifically requests or needs to see the doctor.

Anyway, I see this young woman, Jill. Seriously. She just finished school and started working there in January. I work hard throughout the appointment to respect her education, that she's fresh, with the current information....

The first part is the good news. I've lost weight--12 pounds!! since the end of February. I surprised even myself. Way to go, Me!

The rest is not as good, though not really bad, at least so far.

The lab didn't run all the tests that were ordered. The good news is, the ones that were run, were "good". And Maria in the office called the lab, which still has the blood, and will run the remaining tests. The bad news, Doctor wants another blood test which needs a different "color" tube. So I'll need another draw. Ugh.

The cardiac echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) showed some interesting stuff. The left ventricular wall is thickened, the ventricles (bottom chambers) don't completely relax when they are supposed to ("impaired relaxation"), and all of the heart valves "leak". Two are "trace", one is "mild", and the fourth one is moderate. Also, there is a small pericardial effusion (area of increased pericardial fluid) near the right ventricle. In summary, she told me my heart was a normal 55-year-old heart. Great. I wonder what it would be if I didn't exercise....?

The Holter monitor did capture a few "events", which, the cardiologist says, are of no significance. "How much does it bother you"? I was asked. They would be happy to prescribe a beta blocker for me. No thank you, I said. No daily pills. Not unless or until it's necessary.

I left there with an order for a lab draw, an appointment for next June 29, 2012, and the reassurance to call if there are any changes. If the "events" of the arrhythmias are more frequent, annoying, or bothersome, I am to call the office and will be set up with a 7-day monitor.

Back at home, Dan was just leaving to golf. We chatted for a few minutes before he left.

I reviewed the results of the tests again, praising God for my life.

Then I went out for a jog.

Which was good.

I cooled off, and had just finished showering, when Dan returned.

He said he didn't want anything more to eat, so I fixed my food and ate. After a while, he left to go back to the trailer. Hopefully he'll be able to keep his own doctor appointment tomorrow afternoon.

A quiet evening, and I'm ready for bed.

Tomorrow I have a meeting in Jackson.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment