Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wednesday 6.4.2008

Another Doctor, Another Day

I got to bed last night, or more correctly, this morning, about 0100. I took the tylenol/motrin combination before climbing in, and I woke up about 5. Dozed off and on until the alarm came on. I got myself ready for the day and went over to the radiation center.

On my way past the desk, Vicky reminded me to stop on my way out and schedule my follow up appointment. Oh yeah, I forgot to bring my planner in. I'll make sure to do that, thanks. I go through the door and head over to the change room. Bruce was in the waiting area, and Millie came around the corner just as I came out of the change room It was her last treatment; she was smiling. We hugged, and Ron was there to take me back to the treatment room.

I got on the table, and asked Ron again what that snout was called--electron cone accessory. Ok. He gets me and it positioned and leaves the room. (Halley was there again, too, but she didn't do anything) Click, zzzzzzzz, click, done. Great. One more treatment, tomorrow. Ron comes back in and moves the table so that I can move. See you tomorrow...

I change my clothes and look around the waiting area. No one is in there. Hm. Ok. Well, Elaine, you'll have to finish this puzzle with the other nice people. Tomorrow's my last treatment here. The door opens, and Fran and Paul come in. They know that I'm almost done, and ask me when--tomorrow--and Fran hugs me, and Paul grins. They are almost done, too. I leave out the side door, go to the car and get my planner, go back in to see Miss Vicky at the front desk.

We schedule a follow up appointment for July 3, just to make sure I'm healing ok. And to call if I have any questions, concerns, or needs. Thank you, see you tomorrow.

At home, I have an hour before leaving to see Dr. Bolmer. I find I'm a bit anxious about this appointment. I get the spiral notebook that I use for these visits, and make notes about the questions I want to ask, and get the dates from my planner of my menses. I'm sure she's going to ask me about that, as the type of medication is determined by menopausal status. I have a little snack, and it's time to go.

Daniel and I arrive, and I take his hand while we're walking into the building. He says the last time we were here it was cold. Yep. And I'm glad I'm not having another chemotherapy treatment... I sign in at the desk. Funny, the same girls are back there, but they didn't say "don't sign in, I'll pull your chart.." I wonder why... Anyway, I sat next to Daniel and waited. The television had something about Obama that didn't interest me, and there was a basket with magazines on the floor between our chairs. I picked up the top one, half interested. 2007. Nope. Another 2007. Nope. Fitness 2008. Ok. I absently leafed through the pages.

"Katherine" I heard my name. Daniel and I get up and follow the nice girl. I still don't know their names. We stop at the scale. #146.0. Hm. Looking back in my book, previous weight on this scale was #144. Well, that's what it is today. Don't want to make that a trend...

She leads us to an exam room. (uh-oh, I didn't look at the number) I don't even remember too many details about the room. Exam table, with swirls of blue and purple on the paper cover, 2 chairs, and the roll-y doctor stool. What's-her-name takes my blood pressure. It doesn't capture the first time, so it re-inflates. 98/63 pulse 64 temp 98.3. Ok, she says, doctor will be in shortly. Thank you, I say.

I'm sitting in the chair at the end of the counter, and Daniel is across the room from me. After several minutes, Doctor Bolmer comes in and greets us. She sits on the doctor stool and puts my chart on the counter and starts flipping pages, all the while talking and moving. She asks lots of questions about how I did after the chemo, how was radiation going, when is last treatment, oh your hair's coming in nicely. She asks about menstrual bleeding, and I recap the dates. Ok, she says, that's a definite for Tamoxifen. How's your skin holding up with the radiation? I ask her if she wants to see it. Yes, she says, and I stand and lift my shirt. (I had put on a sports bra this morning, because we're going grocery shopping after this appointment) I undo my bra, and she winces. Sorry, she says. That looks like it hurts....Yep, does. Well, she says, that heals up in a couple of weeks. (hope so) She tells me that we'll wait before starting the tamoxifen until the skin has healed, and the plan is to start it July 1. Good. I wanted a break with no meds.

Next was the hot flashes. She asked, I told her. Eww, she said. Sorry. She then went on to explain estrogen and oh-my-gosh, I don't remember what she was saying. I know that I was nodding my head a lot. She offered the Effexor, and I said yes. I'll take 37.5 mg a day for a week, the go to 75 mg. Ok. Hope I like it. I hope it works.

Next, she looked at my arm, and asked me how it was. She said it looks a little larger than the other. Oh? Interesting that she noticed. We talked about the lymphedema treatments, and that they are almost done. Why, she asked, if there's still fluid in there? After a brief discussion, she said she would write the prescription for it to continue. And she did. For a continuation of current treatment, with evaluation and treatment as necessary once a month. I was surprised that she did that. I wonder what Ike will say tomorrow.

We talked about blood levels, and that I'll have a CBC today before I leave, then have more comprehensive studies done 3 months after starting the tamoxifen. I am to have the blood drawn before the next appointment, which will be into October.

She asks if there's anything else on my list; no, thanks, we've covered everything. I summarize back to her what I understand the treatment plan is, she says we're doing good, and we're done. Stop at the window to make your appointment, one of the girls will draw your blood, see you in October. Call if you have any questions or concerns. Ok, thank you Doctor.

And the whole time she never sat still. Her legs or arms were always moving. Sometimes it was distracting and I had difficulty focusing on what she was trying to tell me.

Dan and I go to the window to check out. There's a 10 dollar co-pay, and we pay that. Looking at the schedule, we chose October 9, I think. She wrote out a lab order in case I want to have it drawn in Jackson. Thank you very much. Dan went out to the waiting area, I went back to use the restroom. When I came out, the nice lady was ready for my arm. I sat in the chair with the narrow table on it, she puts the tourniquet on, inserts the needle, and just like that, 2 tubes of blood. Great, thanks! You do a good job! She puts the tube into the machine, and a minute or so later, the printout appears. She hands it to me. There you go, she says. Thanks again.

I join Dan in the waiting area. I'm looking at the results. Hemoglobin 12.2. Yay!!! Up from 10.3 or something March 28. My body is trying to get in balance. Thank you God, for taking care of me. I say that out loud, and say to Dan, God's probably saying thank you Kathy for taking care of your body. He smiles. I think it's the prayers that have let me do so well. Yours, dear reader, mine, and everyone elses. The hematocrit is 35 something, and there is another value that is high, but there is still cell damage happening with the radiation, so I'm not concerned. Yippee!!

We go on to the next stop, Meijer. I have a list, Dan has the cart, and we have gotten to be pretty good shoppers together. We are out of the store in 45 minutes or so.

Back home, we unload the groceries and put them away. Daniel gets the small grill out and cooks up the meats that were thawed from the refrigerator event. We ate what we wanted of it, and he put the rest in the fridge. I was busy putting the H2O2 soaks on my reddened swollen sore breast/areola/nipple. After that was done, I laid down on the bed, topless but with a light cover over me, and airdried while I took a little rest. A half hour or so later, I got up.

I decided to try just applying a thin coat of the silvadene cream without a dressing. I did that, then put on a loose flannel shirt. That was ok, as long as I didn't move too much.

I changed my clothes again after a bit; I had a dinner date with the child of my heart, Andrew. He's graduating this year, and I was invited to the party, but I will be out of town. So I called and asked him to dinner.

We met at Ground Round, in Jackson. He greeted me with a big hug. I haven't seen him in several years, and of course, he's taller. We had a good visit, and agreed to meet again.

I came back home, did a load of laundry, ironed, and got organized to get ready to go tomorrow. I have the last radiation treatment, then therapy, then I need to pack the rest of what I'm taking to the lake. Load the car and get on the road. I'm done with treatments until next week Friday, when I'll see Ike again.

I do plan to take the laptop with me, though I don't know if I'll post every day. There are wi-fi sites around that I'll go to so that I can keep up with the internet.

After writing this, I see that I've had a busy day. No wonder I feel a bit tired. I hope I can sleep. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Well the last GLOW 'round today then a well deserved brake up at the lake!!! Hope to sea ya up there
    love -B-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh happppyyyy daaayyyyyyy ~ (to be sung like the big gospel choir in my head!)

    Wishing you sunshine & cool breezes @ Long Lake.

    love & smooches ~ k.

    ReplyDelete