Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wednesday 5.28.2008 The First of the Last

Radiation Treatment #24

This morning I woke up about 0624. Good, I thought, I'll get up in a couple of minutes when the radio comes on. It didn't. Hm. I got up anyway, turned on the water, and thought Hey, I don't have to get up until 0725!! Too funny!! I turned the water off and got back into bed. That was the best sleep all night...

The radio woke me, and this time I got ready for the day.

I got over to the radiation center, went in and changed into a gown. A few minutes later, Ron came out to get me. I got onto the table, and they had the adapter thing on for my "boost" treatment. It's not an increase in dosage of radiation, it's a decrease in the size of the field. This adapter thing looks kind of like a cylinder that you use at the bank drive-through. When Ron positioned me and the machine, that thing seemed like it was only inches away from my breast. The thing is attached to the arm of the machine, which is positioned on the left side. I don't have the big plate over top of me any more to line up, and I wondered what they did line up. I'll have to pay attention tomorrow...

The machine did it's thing--click, zzzzz, click, and I was done. Hm. That was easy. In my imagination, though, it felt like the inside of the breast got hot and bubbly. I know, weird.

Ron and Lisa came in to move the table back down and move the equipment around for the next patient. See you tomorrow...

I changed back into my clothes, and my nipple was prickly against the fabric. Eww, this isn't good. I'll put some goop on it when I get home.

Before I got home, the hospital had called, letting me know that we were having babies, and I will be needed to come in as soon as I could get there. Ok, I'm not home yet...

I changed clothes, gooped up my breast, had a bite to eat, got my things together, and headed out. I had to refuel on the way down, so I stopped and did that. I got into Jackson and parked in the back of a lot, and no shuttle (no surprise?) and walked the 2 blocks into the building.

My co-workers exclaimed about my hair, how long/thick/soft it is, and a lot of them like to touch it. It is really soft, and does seem like it might be thicker that it was before chemo. It's about maybe a half an inch long. Each morning it has visibly grown. Remember when my eyebrows and lashes came out a couple of weeks ago? Today I did not add eyebrow color because the brows seem to have grown back in in the last couple of days. And the eyelashes are maybe a quarter inch long. It's amazing how fast it has all grown in. And one thing I noticed about my head--when I was walking outside in the sunshine, I did not feel the sun on my scalp.

I had a great day with a great group of co-workers. Busy, but just busy enough for me. Soon the night shift came in, and we clocked out and left.

I made it home; Daniel said there had been lots of activity at our hummingbird feeder throughout the day. (lots of activity here is at least 2 different birds, maybe 3 or more, feeding frequently) They were still coming in and out, mostly one at a time, but a second bird would noisily chase the other away. I enjoy watching them.

I had a snack, got my food prepared for tomorrow, put the stuff on my skin, visited with Daniel, and wrote here.

Tomorrow is radiation, then to Jackson for a meeting before working out on the floor. Daniel has 2 different golf outings scheduled. I hope the weather holds for him.

My skin is quite pink, the breast is sore. I've had a couple two or three doses of motrin and tylenol for that discomfort, and I can tell when it wears off.

Daniel has migrated off to bed, and I need to get there, too. Thank you for reading. Your support is what has helped me do so well throughout this process. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sis!

    Well, the last "lap around the track", eh? In some ways it seems like it's been forever, but it's good to know that it's almost at an end.

    We, too, like to watch the hummingbirds. They are very territorial, and amazingly aggressive! Yet, they don't seem to be a bit fazed when we're out on the porch swing ... they still come right up to the feeder only a foot or so away.

    So, after this leg of the journey is complete, what's next? Do you go on some kind of maintenance drug regime?

    When I share that you are staying active, running 2 or so miles almost daily, working, etc, I get amazed reactions. I guess some people allow themselves to be victimized by the process, or perhaps everyone is affected differently. But whatever the case, you are not playing the role of a victim, rather you are the conqueror! Way to go!

    We love you and are very proud of you. See you soon,

    Jim and Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kath--
    Love the new 'head shot'--looks like you're gonna have a great 'do' for the summer!! Is your hair coming in darker??
    Hope the 'tropical expressions' are becoming less of a bother--they are worse at night, or seem to be when they wake you at all hours!!
    Just wanted you to know I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers--every day---
    Stay Strong my Friend,
    Love,
    Vonnie

    ReplyDelete