Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday 5.21.2008

Radiation Treatment #20

I had a hard time going to sleep, but finally about 0230 I did. I woke once that I remember for a biologic break, (during a hot episode) and another time being hot. The 7:30 alarm interrupted my morning. I looked in the mirror--there was a piece of hair on the side of my head sticking up. Bed Head!!! Hey, I've got Bed Head!!

I got up and got myself over to the radiation center. Changed into the gown and went into the waiting area. Barb, the woman I met at the Look Good Feel Better class, was there, waiting. I sat beside her, and she commented on my hair. (I haven't worn anything on my head since Monday) She took off her bandanna to show me her shiny scalp with a few chicken hairs on top. (I remember....) About then, Michelle the social worker approached, it seems that Barb was waiting to see her. (Social Work visits are part of the protocol in this facility.) They went off, and Ron came out to get me.

I went back to the treatment room, climbed onto the table. I know, hold still. Lisa and Ron lined me up, went off, the machine does it's thing. Lisa comes in and puts the plate on, leaves, click, zap, done. They don't come in right away, just long enough for me to wonder what's up, then in they come, lowering the table and helping me off. See you tomorrow...

I go out and change into my clothes. As I was leaving, Fran was there with her husband Paul, and she asked if she could talk to me for a minute. Sure, I said. Without breaking confidence, I will say that she was looking for reassurance, and I hugged her. I hope I said the right things. Please send Fran and her husband Paul a prayer and an angel.

At home, I'm still kind of tired. I put some goop on my affected skin, checked email, and Dan had errands to do and asked if I wanted to go along. Sure, it beats being tired and sore at home. (My left shoulder is really uncomfortable today, as well as the breast, and the skin is getting itchy.) We made several stops, and got home later.

We had lunch, and I went upstairs and laid on the couch. I slept for about an hour. I felt a little better after a nap.

Daniel was ready for dinner, and he suggested we go to a local eatery, Carlin's Catch, and had some fresh fish. It was yummy.

Back home, we each got on a computer, and that's basically how we spent our evening. I'm going to shower, and go to bed.

Tomorrow is radiation and therapy, so far nothing else planned.

Thank you for reading, for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. I'll write again tomorrow. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,

    Boy, isn't it something when "bed head" is an accomplishment:)

    You have learned to lay still on the radiation table, yea!! It's got to be hard to hold still when you want to know what is going on, see where you are, and where those lights are, but lay still you must:)

    We're both still reading, praying and sending hugs your way.

    Love, Jim and Polly

    ReplyDelete