Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday 5.23.08

Radiation Treatment #22

It seemed to be a restless night, with sleep intervals interrupted with the hots, and I had a hard time getting comfortable. The radio came on when I was finally asleep again, but, ... out of bed I get. I washed up and dressed, had breakfast, then over to the radiation center.

I took the camera today to capture some images of the machine-I'll have to post those another day. I went in, changed into the gown, took some pics, and Lisa and Ron got me situated on the table. The machine hums as it moves into position, click, bzzzzzz, click. It moves to the other side, Lisa comes in and slides on the accessory, goes back into the control center, click, bzzzz, click. Done. Nobody came out. The arm moved out of the way, but I had sat up on the table and put my arm back in the sleeve, and was tying in, when Lisa came in. They seemed just a bit pre-occupied. She lowered the table, small-talked about the holiday weekend, see you Tuesday.

I went out to change my clothes; Fran was there with her granddaughter. Fran introduced us, we chit-chatted a moment. Fran wanted "her daily hug". I hugged her and her granddaughter Celia. Michelle the social worker joined us, and asked if I had a minute. Sure--my appointment with Ike was at 10:30. Michelle and I had a good conversation, and I was on my way. It was too late now to go home and then back to therapy, so I just went over there and sat in the car in the sun, listening to the birds. That was very restful.

I went in, Ike called me back after a few minutes. We went into room 3 today. I changed into a gown, she looked at my hand and arm, and breast and shoulder, and back and shoulder. She thought I was holding fluid in the shoulder area. (Yep, that's how it felt...) We started by reviewing the handouts she had given me yesterday, and she helped me with hand positioning to be able to move the fluid myself (self massage). I won't be able to do my back. I'm going to ask about bringing Daniel so he can be shown, too, instead of me trying to direct him. We continued with my going through the exercises and such, but Ike took over and did a short treatment (time was running out). At 11:35 we finished, I dressed, and we went out to schedule me 2 more appointments for next week. I don't know what will happen after that. Thank you, Ike, for helping me, for being part of my care team.

I went home, now nauseated. Moving the lymphatic fluid has done that in the past, and maybe the radiation treatment does too, somewhat. Anyway, I had to settle down and get something to eat, because I had to go to in to work. I waited about a half hour or so, but I managed a light lunch before leaving.

I was able to park in the front of the lot today, so I only had to walk a block. I got in and got report, and took over for Dawn. It was a good group of staff working, and a relatively mild day for a Friday.

Time went on, and soon it was 7 pm. I stayed until they finished report, about 7:20, then came on home myself.

Daniel was doing his thing on the computer, I had a bite to eat. We visited a bit, and I wrote here.

I work both Saturday and Sunday, and look forward to not having to set an alarm for Monday. My breast is still pink, and I think the areola looks darker. The whole breast is sore. I did take a couple of tylenol and motrin when I got home. I've been taking that in the morning, too, before therapy appointments.

Thank you for reading, your support is awesome. And I love that you like to touch my new hair. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment