Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunday 01.18.2015

No post last night.

No computer.

Seems that the two foot jostle (or rather, the abrupt stop on the floor?) upset the monitor display.

Yup.  That's what I said.

It didn't fail all at once; it would go black and restart. When I turned it on Saturday morning, there were green stripes instead of the blue. It rebooted itself, and I had the UGH feeling in my gut that there was something wrong.

Terribly wrong.

Frank came over, watched it attempt to start up, and shook his head.  "Dead"  he said.

"What about 'safe mode,' "  I asked.

He shook his head.

We actually did get it running in safe mode, and was able to copy data onto a flash drive.

Then we took it apart to see what we could see.  Couldn't see much, and I didn't want to destroy the case to get further into it. We put it back together.

I called to check if I was needed for my "mandatory" hours at the hospital.  I wasn't.

We went to Los Tres Amigos for a yummy supper before going over to Best Buy.

I had a list of features that I wanted on a machine.  Number one is a back lit keyboard.  Not unlike a garage being a priority for my vehicle. Not a necessity, but a strong preference.

We found a couple that met the criteria, and were within the budget. I couldn't make the purchase last night--I had to do some research first.

So I went to the library today and used the computer there (surfing the 'net on my current phone just doesn't work for me).  I had asked the salesperson for a better price, and he gave me $101 off.  And that was actually better than what I found online.

I stopped at Sears (this store doesn't carry laptops any more), then Office Max (no back lit keyboards). I might have been able to find something elsewhere online, but I didn't want to wait.  Back over to Best Buy, and I purchased the ASUS 15 inch 2-in-1.

So far I kind of like it, and so far I kind of don't. The keyboard has a nice feel. I am unaccustomed to Windows 8, and that's my glitch.  I'm trying to be "intuitive" with the functionality.  I've gotten through the basic set-up, and I'm sure there's about a million things I'd like to do with it if I knew what the things were....

But, alas, I have a new machine, and I'm online.

Tomorrow is a work day.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment