Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday 01.05.2015

This turned out to be a day!!

Went for my physical this morning in the single digits and icy roads. Made it safely.

Dr. Taylor looked me over. Everything is good, including labs.  (Except for the cancer marker one--it was a "send out" and hasn't resulted yet.)  I left with orders for a DXA scan (a type of bone density scan) and a mammogram.

I called to schedule when I got home.  It turned out that there were times available this afternoon for each of these, so I went this afternoon.

DXA scan went well. (since I've changed insurances, the providers that I had been seeing for my cancer care and follow ups are now "out of network".  This was a new experience with Allegiance Health.)  The technologist Nancy was very kind and did a good job helping me through the process.  Not that it's difficult--one of the easiest scans to have.  Bone Density scans are necessary because the letrozole can cause demineralization of the bones, leading to osteopenia or osteoporosis.

We were chatting about the treatment and follow ups I had received in Lansing, and I mentioned that I had been having MRI's for the breast exams since 2009.  I was extremely nervous/anxious to have a mammogram.  (MRI's are not covered by this insurance company, unless "medically indicated"; also comes with high co-pay of several hundreds of dollars. I convinced myself to try a mammogram...)  Nancy is also a mamm tech, and told me about the new (since I've had a mamm) equipment. She reassured me that the technicians in the mamm room are awesome, and she would call over to let them know I was on my way. I sure appreciated her kindness, and I was feeling almost ok about the process.

I got over to the other department and signed in. And since I was a bit early, I had to wait.  I did pretty good keeping the anxiety at bay.

It was finally my turn. Lori and Angie took very good care of me, being patient and considerate. Angie moved the compression plates by hand for the last bit (instead of using the foot plate, which was the cause of the last mamm's negative experience). I was able to tolerate that slower movement much better, and they were able to get the films they needed.  Thank you God.

The previous scans have been requested from Lansing, and will be compared with these. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I hear about results.

And overall, the mamm wasn't as uncomfortable as any of the others I've had done. I had taken 800 motrin a couple hours before time, and I'm sure that helped a little.

I was glad to get that over with.

Back at home, I rustled up something for dinner and had a quiet rest of the evening.

Tomorrow is a massage.  Finally...!!  This has been a longer interval, because of the holidays and our schedules.

I called on all that energy this afternoon that had gotten me through the initial treatments. Thank you once again for coming together and helping me go forward.

Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong Sis. Positive prayers being sent.
    TWG

    ReplyDelete