Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday 08.14.2013

I made it to The Lake.

Worked Tuesday, another day with "oddities"; reinforcing precisely why we deliver babies in health care settings. Sometimes the babies need help, sometimes the moms need help. I'm honored to be part of a great team.

I got home and checked on the tomatoes. The little fruits have begun ripening, and I harvested over 2 dozen of the tasty gems.

Got myself packed, loaded the car, and headed north. A little later than ideal, but on the road none-the-less.

It was a clear night, temps low 50's, the end of the meteor shower, and I was hoping to see at least one.  I did see a long faint trail, which I thought might have been really far away. And about an hour later, there was a streak so bright, and coming so quickly from the right to the left, and looked so close, that I physically moved my head back as it flew by!  And said out loud "Whoa!!"  Yep. Saw a meteor....

And smelled lots of skunks. Maybe because it's been so cool, but there was lots of small animal activity. Lots of "eye-lights" close to the ground and bouncing as they scurry off the side of the road.

A few "eye-lights" too, of deer.  One that bounded out across the road and appeared that the hooves slipped on the asphalt. I had slowed when I saw it, and slowed even more, as it got it's splayed legs back under itself and carefully bounded away.

Whew.  Okay, creatures are moving, I'm watching carefully, and lowered my speed yet again. Over a hill, around a curve, I see legs. Lots of legs. A herd of ......   cows?!?!!  I stopped, as there were more than I could count, standing in the road, looking at the car and wondering....

Uh Oh.  The cows got out.  I look at the land, at the buildings, see lights on in one of them. The house was dark, and the cows were all over and I didn't see the driveway. I didn't think I wanted to pull in and GET OUT OF MY CAR with all those cows around.... I honked the horn.  To my pleasant surprise, they started moving. I beep beeped again, and they turned en masse and went back onto their property. I continued honking, hoping that their people might hear it and wonder what was going on...... and the cows continued going.

They're out of the road, anyway, and I hoped they would be safe until their humans got to them.

A few more deer, a few more small creature eyes. and I made it safely to the GC, arriving about 12:45 AM.

Unloaded and mostly unpacked, bed put together and tucked myself in by 2. Of course I didn't sleep much.

Today, Wednesday, was another cool day. Long pants, socks, shoes, sweatshirts and jackets in mid-August.  Very strange.

The wind quieted some, Tom offered a boat ride around the lake. Yippee!!  It was nice with the sun out, a bit cool with the cloud cover.

The Eurasion Milfoil looks to be gone, due to the chemical treatment that was done in the spring.  Although I don't like the chemical part, it sure is nice that those weeds are not choking the lake any more.

After supper we visited his in-laws, then waited for his daughter and her kids to arrive.

Which they did.

We got them unloaded and mostly settled. Tom left for home, and I went back over to the trailer for bed time.

Tomorrow I hope to exercise, and also to visit U. Carl.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment