Friday, May 3, 2013

Thursday 05.02.2013 Doctor Day

What a day!!

Got up and ready and went to Owosso (since he "gave up" his office hours in Lansing) for my appointment with the Oncologist.

After checking in, and waiting, Dr. Daniel Williams finally came in.  He was pleasant, as usual, and we chatted about the usual stuff:  how are you feeling, everything going ok, you look good, your tests are all good....

And then he stopped looking at the computer and started talking about the "European Study", in which half of the women (with hormone receptor positive tumors) were given tamoxifen and the other half tamoxifen and an aromatase inhibitor. The study was supposed go for five years, but the results within the first two years were so significantly positive that the study was stopped after 2 1/2 years, and an aromatase inhibitor was added to all of the women's treatment plan.

He went on to say that the 10-year results are coming in, and the survival rate--not just survival rate, but disease-free survival rate--is extremely high. And that the initial results are showing that the protection holds beyond the 10 years, after stopping the medication.

I'm getting the idea that he's going to recommend that I stay on the letrozole for a while longer....

My tumor was hormone receptor positive; the treatment was surgery (times 2, to get a larger clear margin), chemotherapy, and tamoxifen. After a year and a half or so, I was switched to the aromatase inhibitor. I started the tamoxifen in July or August of 2008, which means I've been on the pills coming up on 5 years.

Dr. said my tumor was hormone receptor positive--strongly positive--which means that the treatment with the aromatase inhibitor is very effective. And he stated again that continuing the letrozole for another 5 years is the evidence for disease free survival.

He paused.

I told him I was all about survival--that's why it's so important to me to that I take care of myself--but disease-free survival is really my goal. So, if the data shows that I need to take that pill for another 5 years.......OKAY!!!!!

Then he went on to review the frequency of the testing I have.

1.) Mammography/MRI of breasts--annual
2.) Bone Scan--"I don't think you need to do those any more"
3.) CT Scan of the Abdomen and Pelvis--"I don't think you need that any more, either"
4.) Bone Density--yes, every other year. Didn't have one this year, so next year get that done. The aromatase inhibitors can leech the calcium and other minerals from the bones, but you're active and take your supplements, so I don't see much of a problem with that. Besides, it's relatively easy to fix.
5.) Blood Test--CA 25, 27--annual
6..) And I think your Primary Care Physician can take care of all of these things.

WHAT??!!!!

So I don't need to see YOU again??

He smiled.

I don't think so, he replied.

I'm right here if you need anything. Dr. Taylor can call if he has any questions or concerns, and so can you; just call. But I think you're good.

He got back to the computer, and started typing again.

I'll send this to Dr. Taylor, and he'll get this in a couple of days. Anytime he has a question, just call.  You too, he says, as he looked at me and smiled.

"So I don't need to see you again....."  Wow. THAT'S a new reality.

I've been seeing him every 6 months since end of treatment.

And now I'm cut free of the Cancer Doctors.

YIPPEE!!!!

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!


Thank you to ALL of you who have helped me, prayed for me, kept me in your thoughts, listened to my anxieties when I've gotten lab work done or scans done.

The strengths of each of us together is what has gotten me through this.

May we continue to share those strengths.

Thank you.

AMEN, and AMEN.


2 comments: