Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday 09.25.2011

I worked again today, and it was a pretty good day. Busy, but with enough wonderful co-workers, and a potluck, it went well.

Our facility, Allegiance Health, has remodeled/reconstructed/reconfigured/created what is being called a "Cancer Center". Today was an Open House for both staff and public viewing.

One of the girls working with me is also a breast cancer survivor. She is now just a year after her treatment of surgery/radiation (and doing well). We went over together to see the new digs.

Very lovely. We have one of only four robotic machines/computers in the United States that mixes the chemotherapeutic agents inside a closed chamber. Safer for the staff, that they don't come in contact with the stuff, and safer for the patients, that it can be mixed so precisely. The pharmacy area is in the center; around the periphery are the (so many--20 maybe?) exam rooms, consultation areas, physician work stations, nurse work stations, and along the window, there were 16 recliners, each with a curtain dividing them (which were open). Next to the recliners are side chairs, and an island between each set of 2 recliners with flat screen television monitors on them.

When we were approaching the area, my brain recognized this as the IV chemo place. My feet stopped walking, and I was surprised as I recognized the hesitation within myself. Wow. I took a couple of breaths--Kris looked over at me quizzically and asked if I was ok. "Yes," I answered. "I'm surprised at the feelings this is bringing up." She said out loud what we both pray--we hope we never have to use these facilities. Me, again; her ever. She was patient as I regrouped, and we went through the area, looking around with humbleness.

I must say, I was glad to get out of there.

The rest of the day was a slow, steady pace. We were able to clock out and leave at the end of our shift.

I went over to Lauretta's for a haircut before driving home in the rain. And the dark.

After a shower, I looked at the computer a bit, and went to bed.

Thank you God, for keeping each of us who have been affected by disease and illness in your arms.

And thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment