Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday 06.06.2011

I opened the computer to blog last night, and it didn't connect to the internet. I was tired and didn't pursue further; I went to bed instead.

I am now three years out of treatment. I was looking forward to having three years without "questionable" symptoms, or anything that may, even obscurely, be cause for concern.

Then, Saturday, I had that one episode of fresh, bright red blood (vaginally) that gave me pause. It wasn't much, less than 5 ml, but it made me say "whoa, what's this?"

Today I called the Oncologist's office to ask "where do I start?" I spoke to Amy Jo, who left a message for a nurse to return my call.

Phyllis (remember her?) did call me later this afternoon. She was very kind, and took almost 20 minutes with me on the phone.

After reviewing the event, she told me her crystal ball doesn't work very well. But, she offered me her ideas and options. 1. Break-through bleeding. Not uncommon with these meds. (I was thinking--yes, maybe if I was younger. But I haven't had any bleeding since February of '08. Maybe, but I think it's unlikely.) 2. Because of the negative genetics test, it's also unlikely that it would be uterine/endometrial cancer. My kind of cancer (ER+ PR+ HER2-) metastasizes to brain, bone, liver, and lung, historically. 3. The fact that the Femara was a generic, and the last of the first 30 day fill, could be the reason. (Yes, we know that the generics are supposed to be all that. But we also know that they are not.)

Options? 1. Do nothing, as it is probably nothing, and mention it to Dr. Williams at the July 8 appointment. 2. See my primary care physician (not interested in seeing my doctor of 20 years for something that has a rare chance of being "something". I would then need to be referred...) 3. Come in to see the nurse practitioner, Iman, tomorrow. (I work tomorrow, and by now I'm thinking about a gynecologist....) 4. See a gynecologist. We talked about an oncology gynecologist, but Phyllis didn't think this episode warranted a physician in that particular specialty. There is a gynecology group within the Mid Michigan Physician's overall spectrum. I was liking that option. I usually have my "yearly" in the summer, and it's coming up, and I especially liked that when I went to the cardiologist, for example, my whole chart was available on the computer. With just keystrokes, they can view lab results, treatment history, etc. So the pap results would be there for the oncologist (Dr. Williams) to see, too.

She said the referral would be made, so that I could see them before I see Dr. Williams. Ok, thanks.

She was very careful to say that she can't say with any certainty what is happening. Of course, I know that. It did mostly lift the cloud that I have been enveloped in for the last couple of days.

I thanked her again for her time, and for talking with me like a patient, not like I'm a nurse.

After that phone call I went back out to the craziness that had blown up my unit. All three of us were frazzled and doing the best we could. I'm sure that we gave the best care that we could, given that we were slammed with patients--both discharges and admissions.

We all clocked out late.

From the hospital, I went over to Sandy's apartment, taking some curtains over, as well as a hanging plant for her porch. She seemed pleased.

Dan was home when I got home, and had started laundry. What a guy!! It was good to see him.

I work tomorrow, and he has appointments.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment