Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday 05.09.2011

I was called last night by the hospital, saying that our unit was closed. As in, no patients. Zero.

Whoa. In my 27 years, I think I remember a time many years ago that we didn't have a patient for about 3 hours, but there was someone delivered in labor and delivery that would be coming out to our unit. Very Strange.

Anyway, my instructions were to report to work at 0800, as there was a scheduled procedure that we would be admitting. Someone will call you if you need to come in earlier.

So I set two alarms--one for 0430, and the other for 0600. I slept pretty good, and when I woke at 0300, I turned off the 0430 alarm and went back to sleep. I was happy to wake at again at 0450, having had another almost two hour block of sleep. (Yes, for me, that's pretty good) And then the phone rang.

I had to go in at 0630, but now I'm a half hour behind. So I got ready, collected my breakfast ingredients, drove faster than I should have, and made it on time.

We ended up having about seven or eight surgical patients today, as well as a couple of babies, utilizing 5 of us staff members by the end of the day. It sure is crazy how the census can change like that.

I was happy to work on my own unit. We ended up having a pretty good day, mainly because of the crew and the pace of the admissions.

And I get to go back tomorrow.

Dan got home tonight, and he'll be golfing tomorrow, of course.

I've felt pretty good, too.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment