Saturday, October 2, 2010

Friday 10.01.2010

October already!

This morning we got up and met with the insulation guy, Mike, who went over the different facets of the project, breaking down the options and costs. After a little discussion, we chose what we wanted to do, and signed the contract. He'll start it when we call him; I'm not sure when that might be yet.

Dan was ready to get back to the shed project, but I had to have breakfast first. And I called to see if Jim and Polly might be able to come down and help for a bit. They could, and would be down shortly.

When I got outside, Evelyn and Jim were getting going. I heard that Evelyn has put together a couple of these before, very similar. It was a good she was out there, too, because Dan and I would have struggled even more than what we did with it. Polly joined us a short while later. J&P stayed a couple hours, I think, leaving after the frame was (finally) assembled and upright. That part looked pretty good. Thanks again, J&P.

Evelyn, Dan, and I then moved on to the cover. Ohmygosh. Now we had to take pieces apart to attach the cover. Fortunately Evelyn is smarter than us, and she had some great ideas, and with much bumbling and trial and small steps, we finally got one end panel up. That being our example, the other one went much better. But the frame had been set about a foot too wide, and we had to remove the 3 augers from one side. We decided to leave them out while we finished.

We removed all the bottom rails, fed a couple through the pockets, tied ropes to them, tossed the ropes over the frame, and alley-ooped pulled the cover over the frame. Hey, we did it! Now to tighten it down.

We had been working for several hours. Evelyn had to go, and we thanked her for her assistance. Dan and I went in and heated up food and ate, taking a much needed break.

Back outside, he and I were able to put the augers back in and tighten the covers. They will need to be tightened again--monthly, according to the directions--as the webbing and the fabric stretch. But we did it!!

I went around and took pictures, and here's Daniel with his Shelter Logic structure






And, inside, with the reason for the structure in the first place...




We were sooooo tired. It was 5 pm, and we had yet to clean, pack, load, and drive the almost 3 hours back home.

Dan showered, we changed the bed linens, he moved furniture while I vacuumed. We teamed up and were done enough that I sent Daniel on his way home at 6 pm. I finished up, stopped down to hug Anne W., as her people are coming up and helping her get home this weekend. I stopped over to the GC and hugged them, too, and left them some homemade cookies.

A safe drive home for both of us, thank you God. Dan was home about 9, and me about 9:45. Although he was laying down, he got up and helped me unload (what a guy) and went promptly to sleep. I unpacked, showered, got things ready for work tomorrow.

When I looked at the computer, I knew I wasn't going to be able to stay awake to write, so I left it in it's carry bag and went to bed. It wasn't but 4 or 5 deep cleansing breaths and I was off...

And I wrote this Saturday night.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment