Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday 05.27.2010 Carpet Day

Whew, what a project!!! But it's done. And what a great difference.

I slept pretty good at intervals, waking with the sunrise, dozing and getting out of bed shortly after 7. Looking around, there were still several things that needed moving, and a hand truck could be useful. After I had breakfast, I went next door to Evelyn and Bob's--sure, they have one. And Evelyn came out to get it out of the garage for me.

Dan and I were moving the last few items when Rich showed up with his help, 2 other guys. Rich looked around, made his game plan, and started directing the show. They took the stove outside and set it by the garage, and the refrigerator went around the corner on the back porch. (love the new roof there...) They also moved the hutch/buffet thing, as well as the kitchen table, which Dan and I weren't able to figure out how to do.

Rip, rip, out came the old stuff. The rubber backing was so deteriorated that they hardly had to scrape the floor of it. The staples were the challenge.

The good news is that throughout the house, the subfloor is in very good condition.

During the processes of stripping the rooms, I jumped in with a broom and then the shop vac, then the screwdriver and pliers to get the staples up. By ten o'clock the back half of the house was emptied, de-stapled, and shop vac'd. They went into Hale for a break and to pick up the pad and carpet, but since there was a balance on the account, the store wouldn't release it. Ugh.

I made a phone call, giving Angelique the information she needed. Rich and crew went back into Hale and picked it up.

Woo Hoo! The pad was unrolled and the staccato bam bam bam of the staplers was in the house. I felt like I was camping when I took a paper plate outside to the refrigerator and made my pb & j sandwich (with the rhubarb jelly that I made--yum) and took it around to the front to eat.

We waited for the guys to need us to start moving stuff. I was lying on the glider dozing, and Dan was in a lazy boy dozing. Rich came out, and we had a discussion about processes, and he decided to finish stretching the bedrooms. When they were done, we brought the bedrooms' stuff back in, and cleared the front room.

Rip, rip, up that came. Much more easily than the older stuff, and with much less mess. Dan and I resumed our posts, watching the bugs, and an occasional hummingbird at the feeder (through closed eyes). I was starting to feel not very good. Dan, however, is starting to feel better.

I came in to heat up water for a Thera Flu. The house started smelling better as soon as that old carpet was removed, and now the new carpet smell has taken over. I went back out and drank my stuff.

It wasn't too much longer, and I came in and helped them sweep, pick up chunks, and shop vac'd again. Rich came out and stretched that room while Dan and I napped again.

The last room was the front bedroom. Finally. Since there is only about 4 pieces of furniture in there anyway, they zip-zipped that room empty, ripped up that carpet, and it wasn't long before I could sweep in there, too.

They started putting doors back on, bringing the appliances and stuff in from outside, and finally finished up about 7 pm. 11 hours for just over 1000 square feet, moved, removed, replaced.

I got supper ready inside while Daniel cooked out on the grill. After eating, he vacuumed the bedroom while I cleaned the kitchen, and we both put the bedroom back together.

What a nice difference!!

I showered, then Dan showered, and he's gone to bed.

Tomorrow he's golfing in Standish; I'll be going home sometime tomorrow, too. Maybe I'll get a couple pics posted of our project.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment