Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tuesday 02.09.2010

The bed was very comfortable, and I slept a whopping 3 and 1/2 hours, waking about 0730. I willed myself to doze off again, because I wanted to rest until the alarm came on at 0850. I made it all the way to 0805. Anxious, I guess.

I washed and dressed and went to the lobby area for breakfast. I chose oatmeal, banana, and milk, and picked up a bagel and peanut butter for later. I enjoyed coffee while chatting with others and looking at the weather on the television.

I had started snowing in Athens, Ohio just a short time earlier, with a light snow covering everything. I "played my hunches" and hoped that by afternoon the temps would be a little higher, thus leaning more toward rain for the remainder of the journey to Bluffton, South Carolina.

I wanted to exercises some, so I put on my bathing suit and went down to the pool room. No one else was there. I turned on the timer for the whirlpool spa and went into the swimming pool, using the spa timer as my guide. I was able to do 15 minutes of aerobic movements in the water, and by that time Frank had come in. He went into the spa. When my time was up, I went over to the other tub and soaked. I get so hot, though, that I was just lying on the top step with my legs and arms out of the water. I enjoyed it.

We went back to the room and got ready to leave, and were on the road by noon.

The snow was more wet and somewhat watery, but the road surfaces were mostly ok. I still drove with caution, though, through the mountains. Even though it was messy and grayish, it was absolutely beautiful. The snow changed to rain for most of the drive. We stopped for food about 4:30, getting back on the road shortly after 5. And Frank drove.

Shortly after getting back on the road again, in the mountains, giant fluffy snowballs came out of the sky. They were such big clumps of snow that it immediately formed a slick sheet as soon as they were run over. And to our surprise, the road crew of 3 trucks, each direction, were right there tending the mess. So it ended up being not really bad. And short-lived. I don't think it was more than a 15 mile stretch of that stuff, then it changed to a very light rain and fog.

The remainder of the drive was uneventful, and eventually the rain stopped. By the time we got to Bluffton, the temp was 58 degrees and small groups of spring peepers could be heard!! Woo Hoo!! Spring is coming!!

Jeremy was happy to see us; it was 10:30. We visited and laughed, and tried to stay awake. Frank was first to go to bed, then Jeremy, and I wrote here.

It's so nice to be outdoors without worrying about frostbite.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment