Saturday, February 27, 2010

Friday 02.26.2010

Finally feeling like I had been sleeping, the radio came on for me to get up for work. Sure hope we have a decent day.

A safe drive down, thank you God, and the shuttle came in to take us over.

I was on the overflow unit, which was mostly full, with wonderful co-workers. I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to leave early to go to The Lake.

We had a good day. As the discharges went, and new patients arrived on the unit, the "numbers" stayed down. And since there were two of us in my job role today, we had to staff down. And since I want to go...

I was able to leave by 2:45. The weather in Jackson had deteriorated, with a slippery snow falling and the temps hanging around 30-31 degrees. I drove home slowly.

What a mess. I checked the weather pattern and decided to go anyway, that I would drive out of it. I got the rest of my things together, and Dan came home just in time to help carry them downstairs to the car.

Hugs and kisses, I'm on my way. Very ucky weather.

45 mph mostly, with a car off the road now and then. By the time I got to Diane's in Mt. Pleasant, I had counted 6 off the road. Really ucky weather.

Diane was just finishing shoveling (rather, pushing) the snow off of her areas when I pulled in. The snow and temps and 100% humidity had created a glaze on the road surfaces. She had food ready for us, and we ate, hoping the weather would improve.

The Weather Channel shows that just a few miles more on our journey and we would be through this stuff. We loaded her things into the car and we were off, with the understanding that we would stop anytime we felt we needed to.

We only saw 3 more cars off the road just north of town, and we did end up driving out of the difficult weather. (the salt trucks were/had been out, so the roads weren't all that bad) And the oddest thing is, there were areas that didn't have much snow on the ground at all.

We arrived at the Jacque Cabin about 10. We couldn't drive into the driveway, however. Even though the neighbor had "tracked" it with his four-wheel-drive vehicle, there had been an accumulation of a cold snowfall since then, and it must have been windy, too, as the tracks had been mostly covered over. And there's a drift, too, that I'm not wanting to try to get stuck in. After walking up to the Jacque Cabin from the neighbor's driveway (thank you Evelyn and Bob, for letting me park there) a few times, Diane had evaluated the drift and came to the same conclusion. A couple more treks to the car, and we're unloaded. Turned on the propane for the furnace, and wa la, I was able to light the pilot, and within an hour we've chased the chill away.

How beautiful. 22 degrees with a wind that feels really cold. We went out for a brief flashlight walk, basically just back out in the backyard. The shed still has 'possum activity near/under it, but I don't see the animal tonight. And even though there is a snowdrift clogging the driveway, there are large patches/areas where there is not snow; bare grass. I'm eager to see the lake in the morning.

We settled in, enjoying each other's company. Making the beds, etc; Diane finally went to bed sometime after 1, and I started to write here.

I ended up going to bed myself not much later.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment