Sunday, January 10, 2010

Saturday 01.09.2010

I was sleeping good when the phone rang. No, not work. Hm, it's daylight. I missed getting the phone, was dozing back off to sleep when I heard footsteps on the back porch and knocking at the door. Hm. I got up, grabbed my bathrobe, and went out.

First of all, I was surprised that it was 10:40. Whew, I was sleeping good. And it was Bob, the neighbor. Coming to check on me, since they had been playing with the furnace and all. Ok, thanks Bob. He left. I was up now.

It was a beautiful sunny day. Blue sky, white lake with patchy areas of bluish gray ice showing through where the wind has blown the snow away. Wow. Totally amazing.

And totally cold. 10 degrees.

But warm in the house! I took my time this morning, enjoying everything, finally having breakfast. I saw the squirrels coming down out of the trees to eat at the feeders Evelyn and Bob have. Interesting to watch. I really want to go outside. Cross country skiing is out--too cold for my first time out, getting re-acquainted with my equipment and such. So I bundled up in snow pants, balaclava, hat, scarf, gloves, boots, sunglasses, and camera and went out.

Wow. So different. Quiet, still. Odd sounds of the lake; ice shifting, I suppose. I walked around the house, looking at tracks, following them to see where they go, what they are. I got several pictures of the tracks of the creature that lives under the shed, and followed them over to the lilac bushes in back of the gas pig, where there was feces. Round balls about 1/4" in diameter. When I get the pictures transferred to the computer I'll link them. Maybe someone will know what animal it is.

I went down to the frozen lake and walked out onto it. I was hearing occasional deep tones, like kettle drums or something. At first I thought it was someone's music, but then I realized it was the lake itself. I'm fascinated by the cracks and the shifting and such. I heard a high pitched screechy crack, too. Not to worry, though, the ice was at least 8-12 inches thick, as far as my inexperienced eye could tell. The cracks themselves where whitish and you could see the depth of them from an angle. I took pictures of those, too. I haven't seem them yet, though, to know if they turned out.

I walked across the bay around to the Goodwin Cottage where all was well, then returned along Grace Street. It's interesting to see all the different animal tracks and where their paths are.

When I got back, I started the van and let it run about 10 minutes or so as I got things organized in the house to get ready to go. I turned off the van and closed the garage back up before showering. I cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, finished the kitchen. Scrounged up some food, loaded the car, and was on the road before 5 pm.

I stopped at Diane's again, where we ended up at the Grand Traverse Pie Company. Yummy! We ate and visited and laughed. Back at her place, we took turns warming up at the piano, and tried to play a piece of music together. Ha Ha!!! We both need more practice. I'll keep trying...

I had spoken to Daniel a few times today, and I called to tell him I would be leaving soon. He was already in bed by 9 o'clock.

I had an uneventful drive, thank you God, and made it home safely about 11:30. Of course Dan's snoring, and I don't think he even knows I'm back. He will when I climb into bed.

I'm unpacked, had a snack, and picked through a few emails, and wrote here.

Tomorrow is groceries, plus whatever Dan has to do. We're both off, and I'd like to spend some time with him.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment