Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saturday 12.19.2009 Fa la la la la...

Dan had been up about 20 minutes before I heard him. I like it when I'm able to sleep. I dozed back off and didn't hear him leave.

I woke just before 8, and then it was 9:30. Must get up...

I got ready and went to Jackson to get my hair cut. There was a couple inches of snow on the ground, but the highway was mostly wet with a little slush. After my beauty-ating I went over to Frank's house. John was there (remember the motorcycle accident 2 years ago??) and he looked good. He had to have another surgery a couple weeks ago because of infection and a "collection of fluid" over the break on his shin. The area looks real good to me, with just a faint hint of pink. He says he will probably have another surgery in January. He's got a long road, and I'm impressed with how well he's doing.

Frank and I went to Bob Evans to have a bite to eat and a good visit. He was real talkative and I enjoyed our time together. He's going to ride with us to the Sanders' Christmas Sing this evening in Flint.

At home, I was going to rest for a few minutes before taking a shower, but Dan had called saying he got out early and was on his way home. I was still reading some of my email when he came in. I was surprised that that much time had passed. I missed my opportunity for a nap, but I did have a nice shower.


Frank arrived about 4:45. We left for Flint about 5:30.

Yuck. The weather was hovering about 32 degrees, light precipitation--a misty snow that wasn't a sleet or ice rain--funny small light snowflakes with a mist almost like tire spray. The whole thing was almost glazing the road surface. I love the new tires on the car. I was able to go about 50 mph; some vehicles still passed us. One vehicle was real squirrelly--I slowed way down and let it get ahead of me. I thought sure we were going to watch it spin out in front of us. Both Dan and Frank were encouraging me to hurry up and pass it, but I was afraid it was going to slide into me as I was passing. We came into a straight section of the road and I passed it. In my mirror I could see others passing it too, and that it was still having a hard time maintaining traction/control. Angels to that driver.

We were approaching Flint in the left lane when we saw a line of taillights up ahead, and the flashing lights of law enforcement. We were also rapidly approaching an exit. I put the turn signal on, slowed down for the one car behind me on the right to pass, and scooted over and exited. It was a good move. When we crossed the highway a few miles up, they were still stopped up.

It was good to see my family members. This is my Dad's side of the family; we share the loss of my cousin who died recently of brain cancer. I was happy to hug everyone. I think it was hugely important for all of us to be there within that circle of unity, to renew, to "circle the wagons" and gain strength from each other.

We sang carols for a couple of hours and had refreshments, finally leaving about 10:30. Daniel was extremely tired and fell asleep as soon as he saw the roads were somewhat better. Frank talked all the way home.

Dan went right to bed, while Frank and I got on the computers. I wrote here; he has gone to bed, too.

Dan works tomorrow, and Frank and I would like take a drive and start looking at different areas where he might like to buy a house.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment