Saturday, November 28, 2009

Saturday 11.28.2009 New Porch Roof

Oh, what a beautiful day!!!  The sun woke me this morning about 0800 and I repositioned and went back to sleep.  I woke again a short while later and decided to get up.  I didn't know what time the contractors were arriving to install the roof over the back porch at the JC.

I washed up and got ready for the day.  KS was up shortly after me.

The sun was fighting with the light cloud cover and winning, with the temps about 30 degrees.  The bufflehead ducks were out diving and splashing--different behaviors than the mallards that have been here all summer.  The buffleheads have been fun to watch. 

We breakfasted and had an enjoyable morning.  I was a bit antsy, watching for them to arrive.  The phone rang about 10--it was TruExteriors' guy named Guy--saying they were approaching Hale and How do we get there?"  I told him, and their truck with trailer arrived shortly.  I went out to greet them.

As Guy and I were exchanging pleasantries and looking at the project, I heard a noise and looked up--OH MY GOSH---IT"S THE EAGLE!!!!!  I exclaimed, as I grabbed his arm.  He looked up to see the huge wingspan, and we watched it dip below the roofline over the lake.  It had been sitting in the top of our pine tree in the front yard.  That's a good way to start a project, he said.


Guy and his helper, Jeremy, were two very personable young men, who did an excellent job, measuring two, three times, cutting carefully, looking before proceeding, etc.  At one point Guy asked for a bucket, rubber gloves, and a hose, and cleaned the gutters on both the house and garage!!!  What?!?  How cool is that!! 

Guy asked if I could come up onto the roof.  I could...Jeremy moved the ladder over and held it for me.  Guy showed me some trouble spots up there that would only (only) take a couple hundred dollars and an afternoon to do.  Ok, I told him, do what you need to do, to ward off future problems.  (I was thinking "a stitch in time saves nine..." or "gee, I wish I would have had Guy do those spot fixes instead of having to repair major water damage for a thousand dollars")  He/they will do it on an open afternoon.



Three hours later, the job was done, picked up, put away, and KS and I have taken pictures of most of the project.  Here is the finished product...

It looks soooo nice, much more inviting.  The winter sun is lower in the sky and will come across, as you can see, but the summer sun is higher in the sky, so the door wil be shaded, keeping the back of the house a little cooler.  At least, I hope so.

They left a little after 2.  Kathy and I needed lunch, so we went into Hale, to Big Bob's, and had a lovely meal.  From there we went over to the hardware store to look around.  I found one of those clear plasic window kits with the thought of creating a storm window for this back door. 

We rode around the lake, stopping and walking around some of the homes that are for sale.  Interesting.  The ones we saw had not been "updated" since about the 1960's if not before that, and if at all.

Back at the JC we had a pleasant evening enjoying each other's company.  I was able to put that plastic on the frame of the screen, thus creating the "storm window" that will keep out the wind.

We'll be getting things together in the morning and heading back.  It's been a wonderful day--sunny, low 40's, mild breeze. 

Thank you Lord for this gift of life and good friends to share it with.

And thank you for reading.  Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment