Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday 10.08.2009

Although I didn't sleep much, it was incredible to be lakeside. The moonlight lit the lake so that the majority of the time I was awake I could lie there and look out. I didn't see anything interesting, like giant fish arcing out of the water or anything. I dozed for a short while and it was dawn; I dozed again, and as the sun was over the treetops the lake started "steaming". The soft S-shapes of translucent fog were oozing up from the mirrored lake. But then a slight breeze stirred up. As the water became more rippled from the breeze, so did the foggy stuff disappear. That was pretty cool. I went back to sleep.

When I woke next time, Dan was just waking, too, and it was 8:45. We got up.

I washed up and had breakfast; he had already eaten.

We had a busy day today. The mobile marine company that I had been referred to and seen lots of signage for called back this morning and left a message, "we don't do I/O's". (doesn't work on inboard/outboard engines). Ok, plan B.

I called Long Lake Marine, and even though it was during business hours, no one answered. I ate breakfast while waiting for them to call back. Since they didn't, Dan and I went up there. Yes, we can do the boat, today is fine. Great!! We went back to get the boat.

We dropped that off, went back to the cabin, got back into Dan's car, and went into Hale. We had a list, stopping at the hardware first. We got a few things that we need, but had to go to the Building Center for the other two.

That done, we went back home. It was so beautiful out. We put the rowboats away and covered them, I sprayed rodent/chipmunk deterrent around the perimeter of the JC. Dan went indoors while I moved the larger chunks and strips of grass embedded lily of the valley down by the side edge of the seawall where the soil is settling and shifting. I may regret having that particular vegetation there, but we'll see. I raked the side yard of sticks, acorns, and oak leaf clusters and put them in the neighbor's burning area (Dan had dumped our burn thing and left it turned over). I raked their yard a little, too, of the oak tree debris. A little more raking in the back yard, then I swept the cement.

It had been a few hours, and the shop had called saying the boat was done. Wow, that was quick. I was just finished with my chores, too. I went to get it. $65.00 for the winterization, and another $23.00 for some product to remove the rest of the algae stain from the bottom of the boat. The guy says it works. Ok...

I got the boat back in the garage, and Bob and Evelyn next door said they were ready to go out on the pontoon. WooHoo!! Although it's become overcast and a little breezy, I was excited to go. We got our warm coats and went for a lovely ride around the east half of the lake. Lots of oranges, reds, and yellows in the foliage, but another 2 or 3 weeks or so will be peak color. Maybe 70% of the docks and boats have been taken out. I was surprised at how many are still in, mostly the pontoons. It was so beautiful. I really enjoyed that ride.

Coming back up the lake, though, the wind had picked up a little. It was only about 50 degrees now with the cloud cover, and with the wind it was quite chilly. In "our" bay there were even occasional whitecaps--Evelyn declared it was time to go in. So we headed across the lake to the dock. It was still a lovely ride.

Back ashore, we walked around the yards, checking out each others' seasonal progress (we passed their inspection). I had to get in and start dinner.

Daniel had some DVD playing, I cooked, and we ate. It started a light rain outdoors. I cleaned up the kitchen, then re-arranged the outer front room where Dan had brought the outdoor items in, "neatening" it up. (is that a word?)

Daniel wasn't awake much longer, and has long since gone to bed. I'm about on my way, too.

I'm finally feeling somewhat better this evening--the pressure in my ears doesn't seem to be as great. I still have an occasional cough.

Tomorrow we'll clean up and go home.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment