Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday 06.12.2009

I climbed into bed last night. Ahhh. This mattress is very comfortable for me. I slept at the usual intervals. Around daybreak I woke up to birdnoises. I listened, but didn’t hear any loons. I drifted back to sleep.

I woke again about 8. I laid there wondering if I should get up; said prayers of thanks for waking me up today, for putting me in this world.

I contemplated running this morning—it was a cool 50 degrees. I had breakfast after I put the hummingbird feeder out on the front deck.

After trying unsuccessfully to connect the computer to the signal boosting/antenna devices that Daniel had sent with me again, I called him.

He walked me through several different options, all to no avail. Oh Well. I’ve got other things to do….

I looked around at the hundred things I want to do. What to do first?? I decided to spray the exterior perimeter with the bug stuff, as the mosquitoes are swarming up here. That done, I washed my hands and arms of the overspray that came back on me. Yuck.

I swept the front deck to put the “floor” down, a lightweight sturdy woven fabric that attaches with screws into the deck, and swept the cobwebs off the front of the cabin again. I was inside getting things together, when--knock, knock. Tom. Cool.

We chit chatted a few minutes and looked around. He helped me with the floor, got the outdoor furniture out of the front room and placed. He went inside and started trying the computers.

I worked with him a bit, but we were still unable to make a connection happen. I went back outside to put air in the small boat’s trailer tire that had flattened over the winter.

He came out a short while later. We assessed the possibilities of putting the boat in, but came to a halt when we realized that we don’t have the right sized ball for the trailer hitch on his van. Hm. Ok, next project.

He offered to help me put in the rowboat and paddleboat which were both on the other side of the house. We did that without difficulty, and he showed me how to tie a knot, the name of which starts with a “b”—bowman’s, or something. Nonetheless, I did it, and we got the rowboat secured to the dock.

All this, and it’s 2 o’clock. He left to go have lunch.

I fixed my own lunch and took it out on the deck to eat. Hey!! A hummingbird!! Checking out the “new” feeder. Still skittery, it flew by a few times before sticking it’s beak in a port. It flew off.

Since then, there has been at least that one bird, if not others, feeding while I’ve been sitting near it. So cool.

Dan had wondered if maybe a connection had come loose from the antenna that was mounted on the garage roof. I got the ladder out and climbed up. Pretty neat up there, but all connections were secure. When I heard scratchy noises coming from the eavetrough, I found a junebug moving around. I carefully got myself down off the roof and put the ladder away.

After checking the internet connection again, which was still a “no”, but an “ad hoc” network was again located. Dan happened to call; I told him the status, he reviewed what we had done, but had no further suggestions. I loaded up my hardware and went over to the Goodwin Cottage.

I showed Tom what I had found, but we were unable to connect over there, too. It was worth trying. You never know…

I visited over there for a bit, came home about 7. I pulled nails from the walls, then went outside for a bit, enjoying the lake, watching it get dark. The bugs were hovering in clouds, with the occasional fish feeding. The hummingbird was back at the feeder a couple of times. The wind has stopped and the lake is a dark glossy mirror. Beeeeeuuuuuutiful.

I took the computer into Long Lake and got a connection at the Bar, so I’m posting tonight.

Tomorrow I’ll clean the inside of the speedboat.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like you are having a grand time at the lake. I can almost picture it gettin dark, just love it....


    Dave

    ReplyDelete