Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday 05.20.2009 Doctor Day

I was surprised this morning when I kept going back to sleep. I heard the door chimes--I thought Dan was going out. He was coming back in. It was 10:40. Whoa. I have to get up. I felt like I could go back to sleep.

Breakfast, shower. Ready to go. I had a 1:00 with Dr. Williams.

Dan and I got to the building. How strange that I still have to breathe when I get there. We walked up the sidewalk, into the building, then in front of the office door. Geez. Dan reached around me and opened the door. I breathed again, and imagined all of you whose energies have been with me on this journey. Head up--I walked through the door.

Signed in, I took a seat next to Daniel. We chit chatted, trying to pass the time. And it passed. And passed.

We finally got called back about 1:40 by the familiar-looking black girl who I don't know her name.

Step on the scales: 156.4. Holy Do Dahs!!! I've gained 5.6 pounds since January. (can we all groan...)

Back to Room 5. What's-her-name takes my vitals: 104/61, 90, 98.7

She reviewed my meds, then left, saying there was a patient ahead of me, then doctor would be in to see us next. Ok, thanks.

More waiting.

Finally, Doctor Williams comes in.

I stood to greet him, extending my hand, said my name, and introduced Dan.

Doctor seemed like a pleasant man, maybe 6 feet tall, healthy weight, early 60's. Mostly gray hair with some pepper. He told us a little about himself, that he lives in Haslett and also has an office in Owosso that he's at on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and here in Lansing on the other 3 days. Then he started reading through my chart, page by page, asking questions, getting a picture of the last year and a half.

The first thing I asked about was the physical therapy prescription. He flipped through the pages; I saw the one that Dr. Bolmer had written on describing the need for therapy. He then looked on a couple of other pages and found that the prescription had been faxed ON MAY 1st!!! Hm. Ok. (You know I'll be calling Rebound Rehab and follow up on that.) We talked about therapy, that he was going for rotator cuff repair rehab. It turns out he's going to the same place I am. He said he'd hand carry my prescription over when he goes to therapy on Tuesday. **smile** He checked my hands and arms and agreed there was fluid there, and agrees that we should be able to have treatment when and for however long we may need it.

So far, so good. I was liking this guy.

We talked about the hot flashes, that there's not much we can do about them. His comment: "You would have gotten them at some point anyway." Hmph. Wrong thing to say to a hot flashing woman.

We discussed the tamoxifen and effexor. He offered that I could change to an aromatase inhibitor if and when my labs indicate that I'm truly post-menopausal. Something about hormone levels in the blood. Sure, I said. There are different thoughts on treatment, such as the tamoxifen for 5 years, tamoxifen for 2 years then the aromatase inhibitor for 3 years, and for women who were post menopausal when diagnosed, just aromatase inhibitor for 5 years. I figure I've got another 15 months at least with the tamoxifen before making a decision.

Then he asked how I felt about scans. You mean like CT scans?? Yes, he said, for follow ups. I responded that they're non-invasive, painless (other than the IV start), and I have insurance, and early detection is the key to better treatment outcomes. So, yes, scans are good.

He agreed, throwing in something about metastatic lesions. I didn't catch what he said, but I'm not going to have any metastatic lesions.

He wrote the orders for the blood tests and CT of chest, abdomen, and pelvis, and Bone Scan, and we were done.

I was impressed that he took his time to look and read through the chart, and talk with us, not at us. And include us in the decision making process.

As we checked out, I had to wait a few minutes more to get blood drawn. What's-her-name called me again and did that for me. I asked her name. Latea la-tee-ya. We were chit-chatting while the blood was being run in the machine when Phyllis, one of my chemo nurses, came in. She recognized me and smiled, saying how good it is to see patients looking so much better. I thanked her, and again for the good care she gave me during my treatment.

Finally done, I got a copy of the CBC results, and we left. It was about 2:40.

On the way home we passed a car dealership--Buege BuickPontiac something--and there was a pretty white convertible there. What's that?? Dan saw it too, and we turned in.

A 2007 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible. Hm. We got out and walked around it. Nice. I got in it. Nice... I like the seat, very comfortable for me. Hm. The salesguy came out. Mack was his name. Of course, we talked cars for a while, and on the way home Dan and I talked about the feasability of purchasing that one. I left him at home to explore more on the internet while I went to Jackson for a hair appointment. I snatched a granola bar, apple, and water.

On the way down, the Imaging Center called to set up the scans. Next week Wednesday the 27th, 0800, to start the process. Ok, thanks.

Lauretta did a good job on my hair, and I came back home.

Daniel has done the research on this car. I don't know what will come of it, but we'll see.

Tomorrow is a workday for me, and Daniel has a third interview in Marshall. I've been having some pretty good hot flashes this evening, and of course the shoulder and breast are annoying.

But I'm thankful to be alive and cancer free.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Remember, the hot flashes can be power surges and yes, it happens to all of us. Hang in there, the flashes do get less with time.

    Love,
    Polly and Jim

    ReplyDelete