Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday 1.8.2009

Dan is still itching at intervals through the night. He had gotten up this morning and I heard him in the shower. I listened again and heard that my radio was on--it was time to get up. Shoot.

We each got ready for the day. Dan looks horrible this morning--gray tinged, listless--I'm glad we're going to his doctor. His blood sugar is high 200's.

It's the first I've met Dr. George Al-Sheikh. He seems like a nice guy. He listened as Dan was telling him what was going on, but Dan doesn't have much of a voice and was getting fatigued already. I took over with a synopsis of the heart cath of December 22 and what has happened since. We told him our concern of the blood sugars being so high and having insulin in the hospital and not having that addressed at discharge.

He reviewed all of Dan's medications, adjusted a couple, had the girl come in and do an accucheck (321!), and an O2 sat (96%), and said that we would start insulin. After he looked, listened, and felt Dan, he went out and came back with two "insulin pens" and instructions to check blood sugars at least 4 times a day, and to take 10 units of insulin when we have lunch, and to call him at 3 o'clock with the result. Ok! We thanked him and made a follow-up appointment for Monday at 11.

Dan wanted to stop at Zeus Coney Island for a gyro sandwich. Since this was the first time out since January 2, he wanted to go "in", so we did. Surprisingly, to me, it was a fairly nice place. My spinakopita (spinach pie) was fair to good, and Daniel enjoyed his sandwich. When we got home I gave him the 10 units of 72/25 Humulin insulin as directed.

About 30-45 minutes later, his color was better, his eyes looked better, and he got up and walked around, putzing at this and that. He said he was feeling a little better. It wasn't too much after that he started itching again. It was time for that medicine, so he took it and went in to lay down. At 3 o'clock I took him the accucheck--321. Wow. He called the office as directed and they took the information down. Dan rolled over and went back to sleep. I went upstairs in the loft and used the computer up there.

Breon, Dan's daughter, called me about 4:30. I went out to meet her at a Meijer store. We both got what we wanted then went on to Horrock's. We picked up a couple of things there, too. They have such nice produce. My "motherly" duties done, we each went on our separate ways.

I finally got home around 7. Dan was up. He said his next blood sugar, before he ate his diner, was 320. He finally spoke with the doctor about 5:30 ish, who advised to take 15 units in the morning. Ok, thanks.

I fixed my dinner and ate. My shoulder is sore, as is the breast and around to the side, and I have tylenol/motrin on board. Daniel still looks somewhat better tonight and is quite tired.

Me too. Tomorrow is household day. (yay) I'm off to bed.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your love and encouragement.. you've been a big help to me the past months. :)

    ReplyDelete