Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday 1.3.2009 Another Reaction

Dan called me about 0830 with a raspy voice. He said that shortly after I left he had a reaction. Bright red, this time "prickly needles" is what he said, that itched and burned. Dr. Shah (who's covering for Dr. Karve) came in, not real impressed, and talked about sending Dan home. Dan said he wasn't going anywhere until the reaction was well under control. Dr. Henessey, an allergist, came in, and said that it looks like there were at least a couple of things in common with both procedures, one being the dye, and another a medication that he did not specify. He said that there wasn't much to do about it now, and if there's a next time, to use different products. Yeah, good advice. (so what was the medication??)

I had a nice morning at home, breakfast, shower, got things gathered to take up to Dan (clothes and shoes to go home). I had a light lunch, then left for the hospital. I got there about 2:30, just as the nurse was giving him more benadryl and prednisone. His rash didn't look too bad, blotchy red areas, but he was itching anywhere and everywhere, the whole time I was there. He was a little quieter after the meds for maybe an hour or hour and a half, and it was interesting to see different areas of his skin turn bright red and swollen for 20 minutes or so then fade out.

Dan has a roommate now who also has a recliner that he's sleeping in. The semiprivate rooms are on the small side, and Dan's bed and tables have been moved over as much as possible, not leaving much room for a chair for me. After the nurse had been in and gotten both of the guys taken care of, it quieted down for a while in the room, and I got next to Dan on the bed. It was then that he finally drifted off to sleep. (((smile)))

Of course, the nurse came in with meds and woke him.

Overall, I think he's had a fair day. He's in the right place to be monitored and treated for this reaction. He thinks he might be ready to go home tomorrow. We'll see.

My shoulder is achy and the breast is full. My upper arm has been itchy, too. I think it's the fluid accumulating. I'll do the exercises again this evening after I get home and hopefully it will help. I've been taking the claritin and sudafed--the right ear has cleared up pretty good, and the left ear is trying hard. Maybe by tomorrow...

Dan and I thank you for the warm thoughts, colors, phone calls, and prayers for us.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment