Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday 1.30.2009 Adventure

Boy, was I restless last night. After deep breathing, consciously trying to relax and drift off, I finally got up and took a couple motrin and a tylenol. I listened to the radio and finally dozed off about 2:30. We had to be up by 0545, but I woke at 0530, so I got up then and showered. I got our travel bag put together, Dan put the small soft-side cooler together, and we were off.

We got to the Amtrak station in East Lansing with maybe 5 minutes to spare, and the lady at the ticket window (you can purchase tickets online, but only print a bar-coded confirmation slip which you present at the station) said the train was "a little behind". Twenty minutes or so, as it turned out. Dan and I were surprised that the station was full and overflowing with passengers to board--we counted about 50.

The Superliner pulled up. The trainmen with their uniforms which include the distinctive hat (love the hat) help passengers off the train, then onto the train. Dan and I sat on the upper level of seating. Being up higher we could see a lot more.

Wow, was it beautiful! Shortly after pulling out of the station we passed a wooded area where a deer was standing looking at us, and next to that was another deer lying down looking at us. With the snow on the trees and on the ground, and new snow freshening the world outside our window, I could only thank God for giving me the life I have and be humbled by the overwhelming beauty of it all.

We pulled into Union Station in Chicago. We all got off the train. The station is built over the tracks, but since it's open on each end for the tracks/trains, it was windy in there. And COLD! I think it was single digits in Chicago this morning.

We had about 25 minutes before our next train left. After sitting so long I had to walk around. Dan took a few pics of the station which I may post in a couple of days, as I'm scheduled to work Saturday and Sunday.

The Metra train pulled up and we boarded that one, going up on the second level there, too, but the windows were much smaller and the view was somewhat blocked. None-the-less, it was fascinating to take the train through the heart of Chicago, then continue on through the towns that have rippled out from there. About 40 minutes later, we were in Roselle. We got off the train.

And after the train left, we could go across the street to the car dealer, Dick Wickstrom Chevrolet, Roselle, IL. We were greeted at the door by Victor, met Karrie, and treated like royalty. Beverages, a walk around the vehicle, a test drive, another walk around it, and Dan and I were both pleased.

It's very pretty, maroon with gray custom interior. The family that owned it bought it there, had it serviced there, and traded it in on something different for the teen-aged driver to be seen in. Worked out well, for us anyway.

It seemed to take forever for Dan (owner/manager?) to get the paperwork finished, but we did, and we headed on back. First, we stopped and ate. We were driving into Chicago about 3:30. Six lanes, bumper-to-bumper. It also seemed like forever to get through Chicago.

We finally did, and got home about 9:20 pm. It's been a long day. Dan has gone to bed. I stretched a little after putting things away.

The 2005 Chevy Astro van is very nice. Dan and I took turns driving home, and we both like it. "A good find," Dan said. I agree.

Saturday and Sunday I work, and I'll have to see how the pictures came out that Dan took with his phone. I hope there's at least one good one....

I've got to get to bed.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Morning to you and Dan,
    What a great way to travel to pick up your new van! It must of been just beautiful watching the views pass by your window. We're glad your travels were safe and grateful.

    Love, Tom & Kathy Sue

    ReplyDelete