Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday 12.28.2008

Dan still says it's not a big deal....

Dan's still in the hospital. His rash is still scarlet red and moving down his body. The upper torso is mostly solid red but not quite as bright, and his face looks better, but oooooweeee, the lower torso and below is awful. Another medication has been added but this one, too, only helps for 45 minutes or so. Then he's wiggly and itchy. Also, a hematoma has developed at the puncture site for the catheterization procedure. There is a firm lump about large marble size in the groin. Christina, the day nurse, said it will probably get larger before it gets absorbed. Great.

The doctor came in, had a surprised look when he saw the progression, talked about adding more meds for the anti coagulation, and said maybe home tomorrow (but probably not).

For me, I didn't sleep well. It was very windy, which unsettles me. And then, about 4am, the wind blew so strong the windows were whistling. It built to a steady "roar", like we hear described like the train, the building shuddered, and the wind eased up by about half. Whoa! What was that?!?!? My mind was going a hundred miles an hour. That's how they describe tornados---Well, it's quiet now, and I got up to look outside. It seemed that a few of the buildings didn't have lights on. We did, but boy, is that weird. I went back to bed and dozed off.

I woke about 0830, wandered around, and called Daniel. He had a sleepless night, too, what with the itching, medications, accuchecks, blood pressures. He had a small list of items for me to bring for him.

Dan's daughter Kristen got up and got herself ready to go to the airport, then left about 10. We prayed for Daniel's recovery and her safe travels. I hugged her and saw her on her way.

I ended up doing 3 loads of laundry before leaving for the hospital, and have at least 1 more to do. I packed a bag for Dan, and a bag for myself, for my foods while I was there. That worked well.

Dan was happy to see me. We visited, catching up on his status, and after a while, I got next to him on the bed and watched the Detroit Lions perfect their record.

I stayed until the next shift came in. The night nurse is Teresa, who came in, looked Daniel over, and gave him the next round of medications.

Dan walked me to the elevators and I left about 9:30.

At home, I did another load of laundry, folded all the other that I did previously, got turned around for tomorrow, and finished writing here.

Tomorrow is a workday. I'm a little tired, my breast is sore, my thermostat runs hot and cold, but overall I'm doing ok.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aunt Kathy...sending you love as always......

    And.....uhmmmm....well.....while I'm no medical guru.......I'm gonna vote that Dan's issues are sorta kinda a big deal over there!!! Ok Ok.....shhhhhhhh, we won't say that too loudly.

    Holey Moley ---- take yer vitamins & hang in there!

    XOXOXOX ~ Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kathy,

    I have been catching up on your posts. My goodness, you and Dan are very lucky to have each other. It warms my heart to read how supportive you are for each other. I look at the love that he has for you is why he found a new doctor.

    Tell Dan I can relate to the Native American, diabetes, heart problems, and family history he has. He could be my brother. You just described my father's side of the family.

    I am sending extra large hugs to both of you. You two are so very lucky to have each other and such a large group of supportive people.

    Love, prayers, and hugs

    Kay

    ReplyDelete