Saturday, December 27, 2008

Saturday 12.27.2008 Emergency Room

Is It A Big Deal Now???

Daniel had been itching that rash during the night, and at some point, had gotten out of bed. I got up to look for him--he was asleep in the chair in the living room. Ok, I thought, I'll go back to bed. I was sound asleep when I felt someone touch my leg, and when I startled awake, I saw Daniel standing by the bed. "I have to go to the Emergency Room. I can't stand this itching any more." Ok, I said, and got out of bed. He had waited, after all, until 0845.

Before we left, he had called the doctor's number and left the information requested. Doctor had called back and said it was a Plavix Rash, and he would change the medication after Dan got to the hospital. Cool.

We got to the Emergency Room about 10:00. And because Dan had an airway, he wasn't high priority. Even a snail's trail would have dried in the time it took for the processes to occur. As it turned out, everyone was impressed with the rash--bright red, like scalded, raised, and almost completely covered. Extremely itchy, a 10 out of 10 he says, and when it's touched, it burns.

He was given solumedrol and benadryl in ER, and finally transferred to a room at 4 pm. After he had received the next dose medication, I left to go home, regroup, and go back to the hospital.

I got back about 7:30, and he still hadn't had the ultrasound on the groin to check for bleeding. I stayed and met the night staff, and when Bill from Transport came in at 9:45 to take for the ultrasound, I was going to leave. Bill assured me I could go with and watch. Ok, thanks!

The ultrasound technician, Cathy, was very good and told us what she was finding. She said there was a lot of swelling there but no active bleeding. If she had discovered something amiss, she was very good at not letting on. A different transporter came in, and we were back in the room by 10:05. Wow, that was fast!

Stacy, the night tech, came in to do a blood sugar/accucheck, it was 278. She told Claudia RN, who came in with 3 units of insulin and benadryl capsule 25 mg. And with that, I left for home.

What a long day. The bottom line is that he's doing fine with the treatment that he's getting, I don't know how effective the treatment is. The initial goal is to treat the symptoms, then start a replacement medication. If he tolerates it ok he'll probably come home tomorrow.

I've had a long day, trying to be patient with the processes, watching him in such discomfort. It's good that he's at the hospital--he's had 3 doses of steroids now, and he's still miserable.

I have to trust that God has chosen the "right" caregivers for Dan and that they'll get him straightened out.

That pesky breast is sore again this evening, and I had several hot flashes this evening. At least I'm not itching.

Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. hope dan left his skin on and you are staying cool. xoxox

    ReplyDelete