Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday 11.10.2008 Mammogram Day

I didn't sleep as well as I have been, but 1. I'm not surprised and 2. it was oddly familiar, being awake and restless during the night. I did rest at intervals, though.

I got up about 8, hungry, and had breakfast. Dan got up shortly after I did. After breakfast I showered, and recognized that I was growing some anxiety about the mamm appointment. I tried to linger in the shower, stretching my left arm as Ike has instructed me, with the warm water helping to allow the stretch. Yep, that was uncomfortable, but better for a while afterwards.

I kept watch on the clock, as I was making sure that I had the tylenol/motrin on board to help with the "discomfort" of breast compression. About 11:45 I took the 2 extra strength tylenol and 600 mg ibuprofen. Breathe.

I got over to the Ingham Breast Care Center and signed in. I signed the consent for insurance payment and initialed the HIPPA acknowledgement while the nice lady behind the window verified my insurance card and driver's license with the info that she already had. I took a seat and waited.

Charlene (sp?) called me back shortly after 1. She led me to an exam room. I recognized the hallway, and told Charlene that she had done my initial mammogram last year, as well as assisting with the wire localization before surgery. As she filled out the history section regarding previous surgery and such, she somewhat remembered me. She wanted me to change into a gown, open in front please, and she was going to step out. Oh-for-goodness-sake, I was changed before she was finished writing.

Charlene was very kind as she positioned my right breast on the plate and lowered the top plate and squished it. Oh, yeah, it hurt. It was definitely NOT uncomfortable, it hurt. The second view, I told her that it was too tight, and she backed it off with the foot control, then turned the screw thing (like an outdoor faucet handle) and compressed it anyway. Don't breathe--yeah, like I can--hold still--I can move??--and in the 20 seconds or so that seems like forever, my eyes have leaked. And that was the "good" breast.

Next was the left side.

She places a "scar marker" on my scar--it kind of looked like a twist-tie wire on a piece of cellophane tape, with four blue triangles on each side. Hm. Here we go. Step into the plate, she lifts and sets the breast on the plate, then lowers the top one with the foot control and tightens it manually. I'm breathing, doing my best to focus on relaxing and getting through it. Damn, that hurts. Hold your breath... geesh...one view done. She changes the film cassette thing, turns the machine, and I step back into the plate for the side view. I'm breathing. She asks if I'm ok, did I need to sit down?? No, thank you, we'll keep going... The plate moves, and she hand tightens it again. If I breathe it hurts more, so I'm definitely holding my breath. She goes behind the thing and buzzes the machine while my eyes water. Oh, man. When the plate loosens and I can breathe, I'm doing my best. Ok, she says, now for the magnified views. She had explained earlier that the surgical side would have more views. She changed the top plate to a narrower piece, then the bottom plate. Ok, step forward. This smaller plate comes directly down over the wound bed. She lowered the plate then screwed it down. I'm thinking that any fluid that's in there is being pushed around, and I'm wondering if I'm doing more damage, maybe undoing or aggravating what Ike and I have been working on...

Yowser. This time it was a sharp "discomfort". I told her so, and she did turn it back a miniscule of a turn. Another angle with this plate and the same process, and she said she was going to take these films over for the radiologist to see. I was dabbing my eyes with the fabric of my gown when she turned to look at me.

I looked around the room, because I wanted to tell you about it. And distract myself from the "discomfort" I was feeling. The walls had a beige-y wallpaper with a large light brown scroll type design. And a border that was a darker brown with the light brown scroll stuff in a smaller size. Of course, the machine, standing about 7 feet high, a cupboard, sink, a side chair where I had set my purse and blouse and bra and jacket, and a white wrought iron baker's rack thing with the gowns, magazines, and some other things on the shelves. Then I saw the mirror, and I looked at my chest. And I remembered I could take a picture with my phone. So, I did. It's a breast picture, showing the marker, and the redness from the compression.

Anyway, that helped pass the time, and it felt like rebound swelling in both of my breasts. I would have liked an ice pack. Or two. Charlene came back in, saying that the Doctor Rawson would like another view of the right breast, as the first one was a bit blurry. Large exhale by me. Ok. Charlene changes the plates back and gets the machine set up. I step in, she "adjusts", my eyes water, the plate releases, and we're done. I hope.

She goes out again, and I'm left wondering what people do in there by themselves. There was no soothing music playing in the background. Charlene comes back in and says that one is good, and Doctor Rawson says everything looks ok. I ask if I can see the films, and she says sure. I'm already dressed as she is picking up the last of the paperwork stuff, and we go out to the image viewer.

She puts my films up, and my inexperienced eye sees the marker that Dr. Sanchez left in the tumor bed, and then I see a crisp white dot. I've seen those before--calcifications. I only see one, but previously there were many. Evidently they were removed within the tissue. She said calcifications are benign, nothing to worry about. And the right breast looks ok, too, to my inexperienced eye.

I thank her for her kindness and patience with me, and she apologizes for the "discomfort". Yeah. Coming up to me in the hallway is Kathy, Dr. Sanchez (the surgeon who did me) scheduling person. I think she probably is one who holds the place together. She greeted me warmly, asking how I'm doing. As we talk, she remembers my case. I told her about the seromas, and now the cording in my arm and abdomen. I showed her my abdomen, and then the incisional wounds. She thought they looked pretty good for just being a year old, and recently finishing radiation. We had a nice visit, though brief, and I thanked her again for the kindness of herself and the other staff while I was going through the processes. I told her of the blog site, gave her a big hug, and we were each on our way.

I called Daniel and let him know that I was done; it was about 2:15.

I left there and went to Meijer to pick up a few things that were on sale, and also today was additional per cent off with credit card use. I took my time and browsed, decompressing. My breasts were getting sore--I think the meds were wearing off. I finished my shopping and got home.

Dan helped me carry stuff in, and I fixed supper for us. I took more medicine, too. We visited and caught up on our day, and the evening wore on.

He's gone off to bed as I've been writing. The good news is that I got through it and the films looked good, according to my inexperienced eye and Charlene's more experienced eye. Of course, Dr. Rawson will send a report to Dr. Bolmer, and I'll see her again in January or February.

Thank you for your support and prayers and checking in on me. We breathed through another one. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kj,
    We keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Glad your mammogram went as well as it did. My eyes watered too as I read your blog. Goodness! Hope you are feeling good today.

    Love ya,
    Kathy Sue & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. KS & T

    Thoughts and Prayers are what get us through!!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete