Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tuesday 10.28.2008

Sorry. I realized Wednesday night that I didn't write Tuesday night. Guess I was more tired than I thought....

I worked, and even though we weren't terribly busy, we were busy enough.

At the end of the shift, a woman came up to the desk, visibly upset. She recognized one of the night shift nurses, tried to make small talk. She had asked about someone she thought might be a patient, but I didn't find the name in the computer. When I told her, she fell apart, trying her best to maintain composure, but obviously unable to do so. She said her mother was at the hospital, having had a fall, now with a brain bleed, and the unknown outcome that only time will tell. She was so...., well..., I just had to go around the desk and opened my arms to her. She held me, I held her, she cried and cried.

After she was able to talk again, she and my co-worker were catching up, and as they were talking about her mother again, and the girl said her mother's name, I realized that I knew them both. From my "old life".

I said so, out loud. This girl looked at me, I told her my name, and oh-my-gosh, she remembered me and a look of relief came on her face. She apologized again for falling apart, cried again, then said so many nice things about me, that her mom really liked me, and her other siblings, too, and oh-my-gosh you look so different with short hair and isn't it darker...???

I told her I had recently finished treatment for breast cancer. She asked a couple of questions, we had a little small talk, and she had nothing but good things to say from knowing me what, 20 years ago?? How nice. I thanked her, shared a quick prayer with her for her mother, and she left.

Wow.

A good drive home, Dan and I caught up on our day, I had a snack, and checked email. I don't know how I missed writing here...

My arm is "pulling" down the forearm which I'm sure is the cording, as well as the cording below the left ribs. And the shoulder is achy.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment