Friday, October 24, 2008

Thursday 10.23.2008

Whew. I got up and went to work, which turned out to be a good day work-wise, but boy, was I out of sorts.

I was orienting a new-to-us girl (she's been a hospital employee for about 3 years, so we orient to "our way" of doing things) and was, fortunately, able to go to Dr. Hess' office for my 11:00 appointment. She had just a few tasks to do while I was gone, and there were others there to help her, of course.

I got over to the dentist's office and was called in after just a few minutes. In the chair, with the paper bib and eyeglass chain around my neck. Dr. comes in, looks at the tooth again, and he injects the numbing stuff. Then he asks his assistant Sandy for another dose!! What?? I didn't think it was that bad... Anyway, he injects the lower jaw with the second quantity of 4% prilocaine with epinephrine. He leaves the room to let that "soak in" for several minutes, and Sandy stays with me. We chat as my cheek, right half of my tongue, and right half of my lower lip feel ginormous and invisible. (how can that be...??)

I'm feeling the effects of the stuff, and really don't feel like talking any more. I focus on breathing and relaxing. (I totally hate having my mouth numbed for dental work. As a kid, I would have my teeth filled/repaired without anesthesia. I know, strange. But my uncle was my dentist, he was very kind and good, and if I needed to "rest" a minute, I just put my hand up and he'd pause. It only jolts for the brief moment the drill gets to the healthy nerve tissue, anyway. In my mind, it's much better than having my mouth destroyed for several hours...) As I quiet down and try to maintain control, Sandy is setting up behind me, and Doctor Hess comes in.

He checks to see if I'm numb, murmers something to Sandy, and they proceed. I don't feel much other than the pressure and the occasional moving of my lips and cheek. As he was removing the remainder of the old filling, I felt the jolt of the nerve being touched. Yep. And a couple more times after that. That's ok. I don't want any more of that stuff.

He finishes doing what he does, filling the void of the banded tooth, tamping it in, and whatever else they do. Sometime I'd like to watch this procedure. Not soon enough, he's done. Oh--I didn't know he'd taken the band off! He says I'm all set, I thank him, and he tells me I'm a good patient. Hm. I'm not feeling so good right now...

Sandy sits me up in the chair, and I sit there, breathing, trying to regroup. I don't feel so good. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I know that I'm not ready to get up. She's very kind, and continues a light, quiet conversation, mostly one-sided, while I'm recovering. In my own mind I'm thinking "what's going on here--I've had this done before, I've been able to get up and leave. Nope, not ready yet. Hm. I've had a biopsy, needle localization, 2 surgeries, and my breast manipulated in unimaginable ways, and I'm having a hard time with my mouth???" Geez. It must not be unusual, as Sandy is very calm. I have to get back to work...

I breathe some more, then stand up. I guess I'm ok. I thank her with half a mouth. I don't know if it's moving or not, and my words sound funny. I check out at the desk, write a check for half--$118.50--and go on my way.

Out in the car I look in the mirror. (Don't you do that??) Hm. Looks ok. My mouth moves when I open it, and my tongue comes out and moves around, but I don't feel it. It's the oddest thing. I'm still not good, and still can't describe what it is.

I get back to the unit, I've been gone about an hour. Cool. Everything is good there, one of the other girls has taken the orientee under her wing and doing a good job. The girls tell me I don't look so good. (great) I try to have a good attitude, do what needs to be done, and not talk much. I did take tylenol and motrin, because I know when this stuff wears off it's going to be sore... And I used a straw, because I couldn't feel the cup on my lip. *smile*

I am very surprised that as the afternoon wears on, I'm still feeling punky, odd, strange. And not just the facial thing.

Finally my face and mouth return, and the very center of my chin is itchy. But it does decrease over the next half hour or so, and by 5 pm, the majority of the numbness is gone. I still feel like I'm standing on the inside looking out. But at least I can talk now.

I'm hungry--I had soup and oyster crackers about 1:30--but didn't get to eat until about 6:30, as I was catching up on patient care and trying to interact with my orientee.

One of the patients called and asked for me to come help with breastfeeding. Sure--I shoved the food in my face, chewed while washing my hands, swallowed while walking down the hall. (the life of a nurse, really) I ended up clocking out almost 7:30. Of course, the baby got fed.

Looking at staffing for Friday, there are several of us scheduled in our job role. The way I'm feeling, I requested to be on-call.

I got home and visited with Daniel briefly, vegged out while the tylenol and motrin kicked in, and I went to bed. Sorry, I just didn't feel like writing.

Thank you for reading, and remember, brush and floss.

Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment