Monday, September 15, 2008

Sunday 9.14.08

Rained all day today, as the effects of Hurricane Ike have swirled their way into Michigan. We slept until maybe 9. Dan doesn't do well in the gloom of rainy days. I lit a couple of candles to try to improve the ambiance.

We basically did nothing all day. He took a nap, and slept another couple hours in the afternoon. When he got up, we fixed something to eat, and got that taken care of.

The rain had let up some, from intermittent heavy rain in the morning to a steady light rain alternating with sprinkles. The temperature was low 60's, and I was getting restless. I had to go outside.

I put my "water-resist" hikers on, a jacket, and took an umbrella with me. Daniel opted out. I went out for a lovely walk in the rain, heavy sprinkle, really. I went out around the pond, which was really full. Like maybe 3 feet up the banks. And then I heard a splash. What? I looked over, and saw a muskrat, swimming, diving, splashing. Funny. I continued on, looking at how the low areas are flooded. Interesting. Every once in a while the wind would gust, and I would have to hold on to Dan's black golf umbrella, wondering if I was going to take off like Mary Poppins and hoping I wouldn't. Whoa--and then I giggled. The wind would really grab that umbrella. I figured out how to angle it so it didn't catch so much. Whew.

On to the other ponds. Up by the clubhouse, the water was almost up to the top of the rocks, and the whole low area was flooded along the road. That's a lot of water. I kept going around to the undeveloped part. Of course, being open, the breeze was stronger. The pond back there was full, too. Not much interesting back there today, other than I scared up a deer who jumped up and bounded away. Hm. That was something. I continued on, and had to go through about a 2 inch deep collection across the road. I tried to hurry, enjoyed splashing through it thinking it was a good trial for my "water resist" boots, and made my way back to our building. Another block or so, and I felt the cold water seep into the top of my left foot. Hm.

I got back in. I had been out about 45 minutes, and enjoyed it. I didn't get very wet, other than the ball of my left foot. Oh well.

I had gotten settled in, and was just getting started on the computer, when the power flickered. Hm. A few emails later, the power flickered again, several times, then went out. Yep. The whole complex was dark. The silence was lovely. It was about 8:40 pm.

Since I already had a candle lit, it wasn't completely dark in the house, but I got a few more lit, wondering what Dan and I could do for a couple of hours. To my surprise, he said he was tired, and went to bed. No kidding. Now what. And he's snoring already.

I found a deck of cards and played solitaire for a while, then went to bed myself. The lights came on about 1:30 am. Yippee! I was all set to get ready for work by flashlight.

That's why there wasn't a post yesterday.

Hope you're dry, and have power. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment