Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday 9.27.2008

I got up about 9 this morning and breakfasted, then showered. Dan was engrossed with whatever he was doing, and I reminded him of the time. He got ready, and we were on the road at 11:00.

We had a beautiful drive to Glen Arbor, MI. Sunny blue sky with the dark green summer foliage changing to yellow-golds and orangey-reds. The color was maybe 40%.

We arrived in town about 2:30 ish, found a place for lunch, and had a bite to eat. The name of the place escapes me right now, but they had a large outdoor eating area and bathrooms out there, too, which was convenient for me to change into a dress to attend the wedding.

We drove the few blocks over to the Glen Arbor Township Hall, parked, then walked a few blocks down to the beach, the site of the wedding. It was a perfect afternoon. Temp low 70's, the gentle waves rhythmically breaking on the beach, the 3 piece string band, Daisy Mae on violin and vocals, Seth on acoustic guitar, and an unnamed person playing bass, creating the musical romantical backdrop for this wedding event and the 80 or so guests.

Click here to see the photos, or the link at the top left of the page.

After the ceremony that was written by the bride and groom, we lingered on the beach before walking back to the Township Hall. Dan and I sat in the car and changed from our beach shoes to dress shoes, and while we were enjoying the air conditioning, my phone rang.

My brother Dave called; he and his wife Catherine were camping a few miles down the road. I told him if we could get away soon enough we'd stop by on the way home, and that I'd call him either way.

The hall was beautifully decorated, and sometime after 6pm we were treated to a delicious meal prepared and served by Kelly's Catering. Lots of laughter at our table--we were seated with the brothers and one of the sisters of the father of the bride, all of whom lived next door to Dan as elementary age youth. They have all kept in touch through the years, sometimes sporadically, and it was fun to hear them razz each other.

It was a low-key party, and we were able to leave about 8:30. We headed to the campground. I called Dave and got directions, and we got there ok, and found their site.

Dave and Catherine had a rainfly over the table, and good thing, too, as it had been lightly sprinkling. Dave put another piece of wood on the fire, we visited, then sat around the table and played dominoes. A few rounds of that, and we had to go. Hugs and good wishes. Thanks, Dave and Catherine, for calling. It was good to see you.

We headed south. I drove, Dan helped navigate the first half hour or so until we got to the highway. Just outside the entrance to the park, a few minutes down the road, there were 2 deer crossing. Fortunately I saw them, slowed and stopped for them to finish crossing the street. I waited another moment to look for others behind them, but there weren't. Continuing on, we stopped at the Meijer in Cadillac and refueled, and when we got back onto 131, he went to sleep. He said when he woke up, the sign showed 21 miles to Grand Rapids. That makes a fast trip, sleeping.

We arrived home about 1:40am. There were several dead animals on the roads, and thankfully we didn't contribute to the count. We were tucked into bed by 2:30. Ahhhh....

I did pretty good overall today, though I did have an "episode" during the reception. The room had gotten quite warm, even though the windows were open, and I was going to have a hot flash. John, the father of the bride, was at the microphone speaking, and I was thinking I had to get outside where it was cooler. I thought to myself, ok, just breathe, you'll be ok. Well, I wasn't. It got worse, and by the time I got outdoors my forehead was wet. That is just yucky.
I sat on the bench out there for several minutes, then stood in the doorway. After a while I went back to the table. Sometimes those hot flashes take my breath away.

May your personal thermostat function well for you.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment