Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday 8.7.2008

I slept well again last night, and today I finally feel rested. Daniel had gone out about 8. I got up about 9. I didn't have breakfast right away--it was probably closer to 10:30 or 11. Daniel was home by then. I had a couple loads of laundry done.

We took care of some household things, like...bills and finances, then decided to go to Meijer for groceries. That went well, and we stood in line at the check-out. It was our turn. Dan puts the items on the belt, I watch the screen to ensure the prices ring up correctly, and he puts the bags in the cart. There was a young woman, maybe early 20's, behind us, who had begun to put her items on the belt. I don't know why I was watching her, but I was, and she had come up to the front of her cart. She stood there, then bent forward and rested her forearms and head on the belt. She stood up, bent over again. She stood again, and I recognized the pale skin and lips and glazed look of someone going to faint. And she did.

She was on my left, and I reached out with my left arm to catch her, but my strength is not all there. I was able to catch her head as her face bopped the chrome edge of the belt and help her to the floor. Daniel was paying and finishing up with the bags and didn't see what had happened. I looked up to see the cashier, caught her eye, and told her to call for help. She already had the phone in her hand. Dan helped me get her legs straightened out, and as we were positioning her, she came to. I talked to her and tried to keep her seated. She got herself leaned up against the counter, and someone brought a cup of water. I talked to her, reassuring her that she was ok. I asked her if she was pregnant. She said yes. And she had passed out before. It was several minutes before she could get up. The employees brought a wheelchair for her, and I helped her stand and get into it. She still didn't look real good. The manager had come over by that time and started doing what managers do. She was by herself, so I unloaded the rest of her half full cart onto the belt to get that part done, anyway. After I was done, I looked at her again. She was still a little gray, but others were taking care of her. I mentioned that she needed a snack, asked her when her next appointment was, and she told me she was 15-16 weeks along, and sees the doctor again Monday. I encouraged her to tell doctor that she has been fainting, encouraged her to eat more frequently (like every 2-3 hours), and to drink lots of water. Then I gave her a hug and told her she'd be ok. She thanked me, and so did the employees. Dan and I left. He said he was surprised to turn around and see her on the floor with me crouching beside her.

We got on our way, stopped at CVS to pick up prescriptions, and got back home. We unloaded and put away groceries, then I went back out to the Holt Farmer's Market, which opens at 4 pm on Thursdays. I found some lovely produce, bought green peppers, tomatoes, yellow zucchini (!), and sweet corn.

At home, I started dinner. We had sauteed mushrooms, onions, and garlic; Daniel grilled the steaks while I did the rest. Fresh garden tomato, sweet corn that tasted like sunshine. Yum. After getting the kitchen cleaned up, I cut up cauliflower, celery, green peppers, cucumber, and peaches. I made a kind of compote with peaches, blueberries, and red raspberries, putting them in a small saucepan with a smidgen of water and sugar and heating it. After it cooled some, I added bananas, and poured it over organic vanilla ice cream. Daniel was a happy man. (I was happy, too)

Friday is the last day of my jury duty commitment. I called, and heard the happy words "No Jurors Needed". So, I'm done. I'll go to work tomorrow as scheduled.

That's my day. My breast is full and a little achy tonight, as is my shoulder. I don't think I hurt myself with that girl. I think it's just full and uncomfortable. I'm going to take tylenol and motrin and go to bed.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment