Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday 8.24.2008 Myrtle Beach

Dan and I had a great drive today. We woke about 0900, took our time , and left the room about 10:45 with the idea that we would have breakfast and be on our way. Well. We drove by promising-looking restaurants, only to find a "front porch" seating area with customers waiting. We decided to continue south, keeping our eyes open for somewhere to eat.

We did, and ended up about an hour down the road and a small town local spot. It was busy, but they knew how to turn out food. Even though it seemed to take forever for our order, we were stopped for only an hour. And it was yummy.

On our way.

We arrived in Myrtle Beach at the Convention center just after 3 pm, like Daniel had wanted. We went in, he checked in, got his "bag of goodies", we walked around, he bought a new hat, (I'll try to get a pic), and we left.

Outside the building was a motor home for Prostate Screening. Dan was reluctant, but when I said "what if I'd never had a mammogram?" he consented. We filled out the paperwork, he went inside for the exam and blood test (all free), and we were on our way. While I was waiting, I read the bus. University of Michigan!! It is part of a screening/study being done nationwide. Cool.

We drove the remaining 10 minutes to the Landmark Hotel. I was immediately happy that we are at this facility. Clean, amenities, and cool (as in air conditioning). The downside was that since we arrived at the beginning of check-in time, there were no cart things available for us to unload the car. (Their system is to pull up, unload the vehicle, take belongings to the room, then move your vehicle to the parking ramp across the road, which is connected by an overhead covered walkway. Kind of odd, but that's how they do it. And it would have been helpful if there were scads more carts...) Dan and I unloaded, two trips worth. But that's how I pack. If I can't carry it, I change it.


We decided that since we have to move the car, we would go out for supper, so we did. We ended up somewhere , I don't remember the name of it, and had another yummy meal. So, after sitting for two days, I, going to have to find someway to do something, to be active.

Back at the room, we settled in. It's a standard room, yellow walls, dark brown furniture, yellows/blues printed bedspreads. We have 2 full size beds, a decent sized counter-top, sink, good-size mini-fridge, and small microwave, along with all the dishes, utensils, dish soap, cutting board, dish towels, and coffee pot. A nice size table with 2 chairs, and a side chair with reading lamp, too. 2 closets-one with shelves and a curtain over it, and the other a hanging rod with an ironing board and iron stored on the wall. Of course, tv, bedside table, and 6-drawer chest of drawers. We are ocean front, with a balcony the length of the room, where we overlook one of the pools, and beyond, the ocean. There are sheers at the sliding door and windows, for privacy, and also the heavy room darkening curtains. I'm not sure exactly how clean the carpet is, but I don't feel that I can't even put my feet on it. That itself is ant improvement from last year's room. And it smells clean, too. I looked at the photos on the link--that's the decor of our room, ocean-front view, and the same pictures above the beds....

The bathroom is smallish, but standard. The wide door swings into the bathroom. When the door is open, the tub/shower is behind it, the stool directly in front of it (like you either have to open it all the way or close it some to make room for your legs), and to the right is the sink/vanity. A mirror goes all the way along that wall. And our bathroom fan does not work. And the toilet is not anchored securely, so when you sit, it rocks on the tile floor. Oh well. It's clean, and not leaking.

Also, our room is directly across from the elevators, which can be noisy, but hope it will not bother us too much.

I asked Daniel to go out on the beach, as it was about 7:45 pm, and cooling off (down to low 80"s). We did, and had a nice walk in the sand along the edge of the water. It amazed us both how the moving water as the waves come and go affect our spatial senses. I would get woozy sometimes watching the water around my feet. Kind of like standing on the dock with the water moving, feeling like you're moving, too. We were holding hands because we like each other, but also because that sense of motion would, every once in a while, cause one of us to weave. Funny.
There doesn't seem to be much residual from the hurricane, Fay, that hit Florida, other than a moderate riptide warning.

We got back to the room and settled down. Whew. Next thing I knew I had dozed off. It was 8:30. I felt really tired, so I put on my jammies and turned in, at 8:40 pm. !!!! I rarely go to sleep that early. I had the idea that I would be awake in the night, and I would get up and create this posting, but I ended up sleeping (with the usual frequent periods of hot-wakes) until Daniel got up Monday morning. So, I'm writing this Monday morning.

Yep, another long post. Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment