Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday 8.17.2008

I went to bed about 10 last night, even though I was interested in watching more of the Olympic competitions. I think I slept pretty good inbetween wake times, and 0430 came around just as I was returning to sleep. Well, that's how it works. I have a job and I'm happy to have it.

I got up and got myself ready for the day. Breakfast, brew, and I'm on my way.

The days are definitely shorter--it's dark now when I leave, and the gray dawn to walk across the road. I noticed a sense of dismay when I realized that, what seems like all too soon, the leaves will be dry and rustling, and the dawn's grays struggle to illuminate the browns of the late fall. For now, though, I made a point to enjoy the beautiful blooms of summer, with the full greens and strong reds. Thank you God, for my awarenesses, that I may appreciate the beauty of Your world. What can I do for you today?

A pleasant surprise--low census and enough staff. The mom's doctors came in and rounded, discharging most of them. The patients were eager to get home, and after the pediatricians came in and rounded, the new families trickled out. Some left before lunch, some left after lunch, the staff was able to eat lunch, and by dinnertime we had 3 moms and 2 babies left on the floor. The fluctuation in census is amazing--in a couple of days we can be bursting again, wondering why we ever even thought that drinking something was a good idea when there's not a chance for a bathroom break, let alone eat something. Yep--I have a job, and I'm happy to have it.

We had staffed down, leaving myself and another nurse to finish the shift. And since report was short, we left at 7 pm.

As I got on 94 to head home, I got into "race traffic"--fans leaving to go home from MIS and the weekend race. Both westbound lanes were full at 10 mph. Uh Oh. I was let in, and took about 20 minutes to go 1 mile to the 127 northbound ramp. After merging onto 127, traffic thinned some, and I got home uneventfully.

Daniel was not home yet--he was in Flint at a planning meeting for a St. John Vianney All School Reunion. When he did get home, we chatted for a few minutes, then he created a blogsite for their project--www.stjohnvianney.blogspot.com !

I facilitated very little, but he asked a lot of questions, so it took me a while to get my own blog written. He's gone off to bed, so now I can finish up.

My breast has been annoyingly bothersome today, and my shoulder and upper arm are achy. I so hope that Ike does not call and cancel my appointment for tomorrow, and also that she will do a lymph treatment without a bunch of preliminary stuff. We'll see...

I'm off to bed. Thank you for reading. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning from your "Blurking Brother" Sorry to hear about your fluctuating internal thermostat. I cannot imagine what that must feel like. I only hope that it eventually resolves to something a bit more managable ... less disruptive.

    Polly is still in Midland helping with Kris and Ariana. Kris is starting to put a little weight on her foot, but as yet cannot tolerate very much. I took the wheelchair up for her last weekend so she could more easily get around and it seems to be helpful. The leg supports are way too short for her, even extended out to their fullest length, but it is better than what she was doing.

    We all went to Sandford Lake Saturday for the Sandford and Sun triathalon. Jim did very well, exceeding his own expectation, finishing in about the middle of all 450 entrants. We are very proud of his accomplishment.

    Talked with Tom last night and he was pretty bummed about not being able to go with you and Dan on your trip south. Kathy is going to try to get to work Wednesday and see how that goes. I'm not confident...

    have a good day and enjoy the "moderate temp" moments while you have them!!

    Love to all,

    Jim and Polly

    ReplyDelete