Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesday 7.23.2008

The day dawned sunny and still, with birdsong welcoming the new day. Absolutely lovely at the lake. The breeze started, though, shortly after the sun started warming the air. I was hoping to be able to "play airplanes" with Tom--he had brought his RC (radio controlled) seaplane and was hoping to fly. The breeze was working up the water, though, and that plane needs fairly quiet water to land and take off without incident.

I got myself ready for the day, and walked over to the Goodwin Cottage. Tom was outside getting the plane assembled, and all the paraphernelia that goes with it. (And you thought scrapbooking or stamping took time to set up...) This particular plane took up most of the top of the picnic table. I was impressed.

I watched, asked questions, and watched the water. The more he told me about the aircraft, the more I understood about the surface of the water, how important it is that the water not be very much more than small ripples. My instincts were telling me that this was the kind of day that was only going to get more windy, not less.

After Tom got the plane all assembled, fueled, started, and gone through the pre-flight checks, one more look at the lake convinced him that it was not a fly-day. Bummer.

He un-fueled the plane, dis-assembled it, and we carried it back to the van to put away. Yes, I was allowed to not only touch it, but carry it. Like this.... hold on to it right here.... be careful, don't set it down, I'll take it. Whew. I knew I wasn't going to hurt it, but I followed directions...


No comments:

Post a Comment