Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday 6.13.08 Lucky Day!

I didn't sleep well last night; finally slept after 0530. I woke at 0830 and got out of bed about 9. I got ready for the day, breakfasted, and sat down with the computer to catch up on reading that I couldn't do at the lake. Dan mentioned going grocery shopping--we made a list, and decided that we'd rather go before my 2:30 appointment instead of after 4 o'clock on a Friday afternoon.

So, off we went. We were both surprised that the bottom line was about $20 more for the basically the same items.

At home, we put things away, I had a snack, and I was off to my appointment with Ike.

Ike came to The Door to bring me back into the treatment area. We went into room 2 again. We small talked about my week at the lake, how much activity I did, and how was my arm? She looked at my hand and arm, then wanted to see my breast. Eww. I knew that it was full and heavy, and the area above the axillary incision, too, was full. She picked up on that right away, and had me turn around. My back is full, too. I told her I can tell when the fluid accumulates, because my shoulder aches, the armpit is full and gets numb, and my breast gets full and uncomfortable.

She went to work, moving the lymph fluid expertly around my body. She does a great job, and my body responds well. After 40 minutes I'm much better. I sit up, and she has me put on the sleeve and gauntlet, just to see how they fit, and if I can do it myself. (I mostly can.) She says I don't have to wear it all the time, just when I'm doing something strenuous, or if I feel that I need it.

She also wants to discharge me.

I told her, why? If I'm still filling, and you are able to help that, why don't you want to see me again?

She told me that that will be my "normal", and that I need to do the drainage for myself.

Yes, I'm aware of that. And I did do a drainage, but I'm not able to get under my arm, or around my back by myself. But I'll do what I can.

She did not schedule another appointment, and did not discharge me; rather, she said she will write a progress note, leave my chart "open", and asked me to call when I needed to be seen.

I guess that's what I have. I don't understand why we can't have a "maintenance" type of therapy, especially if lymph problems are a common side effect of breast/axillary surgery. Oh, well. I'll do what I can to take care of myself; and give Dan an opportunity to help, and Leah the massage lady, too. Time will tell.

At home, dinner is almost ready. Breon got home from work, Nick was there waiting for her. I helped her get some food together for them to take with them for their weekend at the lake, and they left shortly.

Daniel's back is quite sunburned from last week putting in the dock. It's peeling, and still red and sore underneath that. I helped him get some of the dead skin off, and also put some aloe vera gel on for him.

My nipple and areola are still peeling, too. The reduced radiation field is still quite red, and the breast tissue is tender inside. Motrin and tylenol are my friends.

Tomorrow is a workday, and Sunday, too.

Thank you for reading. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment